Thread: Basketball

Basketball

Yesterday I shot a 7th grade basketball tournament and thought that I would share some pictures with you guys [] I ended up shooting the entire tournament with my 85mm f/1.8.

I switched between AI Servo and One Shot auto focus and found that I had a better percentage of "keepers" when I was using One Shot. Could this just be a limitation of the T2i? Or am I missing something?

f/2 - 1/500 - ISO 1600

IMG_3888 by Chris-Baker, on Flickr

f/2 - 1/400 - ISO 1600

IMG_4102 by Chris-Baker, on Flickr

f/2 - 1/400 - ISO 1600

IMG_3984 by Chris-Baker, on Flickr

f/2 - 1/400 - ISO 1600

IMG_3955 by Chris-Baker, on Flickr

f/2 - 1/640 - ISO 1600

IMG_3276 by Chris-Baker, on Flickr

Re: Basketball

Nice photos. Looks like you got some good results from the 85mm.

I like #4 the best because you can see the facial expressions and it's a good capture of offense vs defense.

Thanks for sharing them.

Braden

Great shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    I switched between AI Servo and One Shot auto focus and found that I had a better percentage of "keepers" when I was using One Shot. Could this just be a limitation of the T2i?

The AI Servo mode on the Rebel bodies is not that great (that's one of the reasons I went from a T1i to a 7D - the Rebel had trouble keeping up with my toddler running towards me, once she started doing that). If you can anticipate the action, One Shot works quite well especially with a fast-focusing lens like the 85/1.8.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

The AI Servo mode on the Rebel bodies is not that great

I figured that was the problem =/

Great shots! thanks for sharing them.. I just picked up an 85mm f/1.8 for shooting my sons wrestling matches and some boxing/MMA matches I cover. All indoor with varied lighting. Can

Baker,

I just recently went from the XT to a 7d. While the XT is not as good as the T2i I can say that the Al Servio improvement was incredible. Like stated above, my one year old makes a dash toward me to sit on my lap whenever she notices me that low to the ground with my camera. I have quite a few really good shots of her running with that smile on her face that I could not get with the XT.

Maybe take the plunge for the 7D with tax returns? You won
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco

Maybe take the plunge for the 7D with tax returns? You won't regret it, especially if you can find a buyer for the T2i. (also seems to be a pretty good body though, but easier to sell now than later)

If I wasn't currently a poor college student I most definitely would []