Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop CS3/Bridge can't open .CR2 raw files!

Photoshop CS3/Bridge can't open .CR2 raw files!

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with .CR2 raw files. After learning the benefits of raw files over JPEG, I started to shoot with raw.

Now, there it is...!

I can't see my raw files both from 450D and 5DmkII in Adobe Photoshop Bridge CS3 (version 2.1.1.9). Instead, there are only generic thumbnails. I downloaded Camera Raw Plug-in 4.1.1 and replaced it. But, it still doesn't work. When I opened DPP, I can see all the raw files and can convert them into JPEG. These converted JPEG files can be seen in Bridge but not their original .CR2 files. I found some discussions about DNG converter, but many people say it didn't work either.

Can someone help me solve this problem, please?

Thanks a lot,

Htet

Re: Photoshop CS3/Bridge can't open .CR2 raw files!

Unlike some other software developers, Adobe does not continually update their Camera Raw plug-in for past versions of their software, and the version of CS or Elements you have restricts which versions of Adobe Camera Raw you can use. In effect, they 'force' customers who want to work with RAW files to upgrade to a newer version of CS or PSE if they buy a camera that is newer than the release of a subsequent version of CS/PSE.

You mentioned that you installed Camera Raw 4.1.1, but the newer version 4.4.1 added support for the 450D. 4.4.1 should be compatible with CS3, so try installing that and you should be able to read your 450D .CR2 files.

Support for the 5DII was added in ACR 5.2 (which requires at least CS4) so you'll need to upgrade CS to read 5DII .CR2 files. The current versions - CS5 and PSE9 - now use Camera Raw 6.3 (v6.x is not compatible with CS4 or older).

What he said, update your CS3 to read the raw files from the 450. You can use the Adobe DNG converter to conver the 5d II images to a dng file, and that will work in bridge. Don

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Unlike some other software developers, Adobe does not continually update their Camera Raw plug-in for past versions of their software

Thanks Neuro..I didn't know that Adobe doesn't update. It's a pity! []

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

but the newer version 4.4.1 added support for the 450D. 4.4.1 should be compatible with CS3, so try installing that and you should be able to read your 450D .CR2 files.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Ok..I'll try to install that version 4.4.1 once I get back home and see. But, as I still can't see files from 5DmkII with that version, I'd better upgrade directly either to CS4 or CS5.

I saw on Adobe site that Camera Raw 6.3 in CS5 support both 450D and 5DmkII.

Thanks Steven..!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven23

Adobe DNG converter to conver the 5d II images to a dng file, and that will work in bridge

Yes...I'll also try that before I can upgrade to CS4 or CS5. I think it's a nice workaround.

Don't forget that the software with the camera can convert your raw's to tiff's then take them to bridge/photoshop.

Do you mean DPP? I wonder which way is easier and quicker between DNG converter and Raw to Tiff in DPP, then only in Bridge! [:^)]

Thanks for your advice anyway..!

Adobe update their software just as fast as many other software developers do; As soon as they can once they get the necessary code.

Having said that however, they do not provide continuous support and updates that are compatible with outdated versions of their software. The most current versions of ACR are only compatible with CS4 and newer.

If you like CS3 and plan on eventually upgrading I would do it as soon as possible. I think you

Thanks Tim for your explanation..! I think I

Quote Originally Posted by Htet Kyi

Thanks Tim for your explanation..! I think I'll upgrade CS3 to CS5 as soon as possible.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I don't know if you have ever checked out Adobe TV or not. If not here are some great videos on the many new features of CS5.

http://tv.adobe.com/show/photoshop-cs5-feature-tour/

Yeah the DPP software with the camera, its hard to say what

Thanks Steven....!

its hard to say what's easier, because it just depends on the person and how they like their workflow to be.

Last night, before downloading DNG converter, I just gave it a try with TIFF conversion in DPP as I have it already on my pc.

The workflow is pretty easy. In DPP,I simply did badge process to convert all my CR2 files into TIFF by one click and then, open them in Bridge CS3Camera Raw 4.4.1, did some adjustments and convert to JPEG. I like it. I don't know if it is also that simple with DNG converter. By the way, I have a question: When I convert from CR2 to TIFF, I chose 16bit-TIFF. Should I choose 8bit-TIFF or 16bit-TIFF?

The original CR2 file is RAW 25MB (21 mega pixel, I think) and 16bit-TIFF file becomes 120 MB. Memory and space on hard drive is still not an issue for the moment as I have 1 TB HDD and 8 GB RAM.

Oh...and Tim, thank you too for the link. I'll check it out.