Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment 16: What's on your plate? - Congratulations Dan Fleming!!

Assignment 16: What's on your plate? - Congratulations Dan Fleming!!

<span style="font-size: x-large;"]Congratulations Dan Fleming for winning this assignment! [Y][]

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Assignment 16: What's on your plate?

Small description:
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]This assignment is as simple as it is accessible to anyone--give us your best image of food (plate optional). The theme could be food preparation, cooking, or serving (plating)--just make sure food is the main subject. Try to create an image that would look right at home in a fine cookbook or on MSN's cooking front page.
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]And the 3 finalistsare(random order):
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]<span style="font-size: large;"]Dan Fleming:
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]Sean Setters: This was great. I loved the the fact that it was a macro shot (I was hoping to see one of these). It was also a great composition.
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]Andy Stringer:
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]Sean Setters: I like how the background elements accentuate the foreground subject without taking away from it. And speaking of the subject, it is so undeniably interesting that it has to get a nod.
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]Uberbloke:
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing"]Sean Setters: I know, I know, it's sad that I picked three desserts. However, I liked the plating and the fact that the photographer tried to insinuate movement in the shot.

Re: NEW! Assignment 16: What's on your plate?

WOW interesting - this is certainly a different topic. Look forward to this assignment.

MattG

A well deserved win, Sean. Good work.

Nobody here would want to see my own (lack of) food preparation skills, so I'll have to go with something from my travels. I've been looking for a good excuse to share this picture, but didn't think it would qualify for the "Best Birds" topic.

"The Penguin", 5D Mark II, EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM @ 70mm, f/4.5, 1/60s, ISO 100, 580EX II

The problem with that shot is that I've used an on-camera flash and failed to bounce it, so there are reflections in the wine glass, a horrible shadow behind the glass and blown highlights on the penguin. I tend to shoot mostly landscapes so I don't have a cupboard full of pocket wizards (whatever they are) and I rarely have a need to use flash so my strobist skills are rudimentary. Remembering that Sean will be judging this, I think I'll submit the following shot as my entry:

"The Snowman", 5D Mark II, EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM @ 45mm, f/4, 1/60s, ISO 400, 580EX II bounced off ceiling

By the way, the food was delicious.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-12-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Hello, this one was taken while drinking some tea with friends, it was a very spontaneous shot since I just saw the cups on the table and gave them a try.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/640x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/8154.IMG_5F00_5986.JPG[/img]

Canon XSi - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS @ 18mm - f/3.5 - 1/8 sec - ISO 1600

So I finally picked up my camera specifically for an assignment. Below are the results, which are possibly not the best thing ever. I do have some Yongnuo RF-602s showing up tomorrow or the next day, so I may try something else, but these work for the moment. I shot both pictures on my Digital Rebel XTi with the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro lens and the Sigma EF-530 DG Super at 1/16th power bounced camera right onto a white shower curtain (Flash was on the camera) that also forms the surface in the second shot. There was a 43" white reflector on the other side to help with some fill. I always appreciate critiques and comments that help me get better! The first one is my formal submission. (If I change that before the closing date I'll post so)

1/125 f/11 ISO 200

1/200 f2.8 ISO 200

This assignment makes me really hungry!!!
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by AnGelo Chiu

This assignment makes me really hungry!!!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Say that again! I just ate, but those photos make me want to eat again [:#] I think I'll try some shots myself later this week []

I

Canon 400D 1/500sec F1.8 50mm

I have not had a lot of opportunity to capture images of food and drinks but these are a few that I have done in the past. Would like to do more now that I have a dedicated macro lens. These where shot with my 70-200 and the 40D. Looking back at them makes me think I really needed a food stylist's help for sure! Side note: glass had a curve in it so that's not lens distortion.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/420x644/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/4456.drink-1.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x467/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/5756.drink-2.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/570x700/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/4705.food-3.jpg[/img]