Thread: Group photo of 46 people

Group photo of 46 people

How to capture a good/nice photo of 46 people.. young to old?

Is there any suggestions on the aperture, shutter speed? The above will be taken indoor, assuming low light.

Thanks

iris

Re: Group photo of 46 people

See this article for a fantastic approach, IF you can scrounge up three syncable flashes: strobist.blogspot.com/.../qna-big-group-in-big-dark-room.html

If you can't scrounge up three flashes, I hope you can find a tripod and that your subjects will hold still.

You "want" an aperture of f/8 for good optical quality and depth of field. You "want" a shutter speed of 1/125th or better to minimize subject blur for anyone who can't/won't/doesn't hold still.

However, reality sets in: to get f/8 and 1/125th, you'll need ISO 1.2million or nearly so, and that's not likely to "work well for you".

My suggestion would be to start with aperture priority, f/4, 50mm focal length (so back up if you need to), ISO 800, and see what shutter speed you get. If it's way too slow (slower than 1/50th), start boosting the ISO until the shutter speed is fast enough and/or you run out of ISO.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Use a tripod, and work with the people, use what ever light you like to, get get around f8/11 depending on how people are lined up. Also make sure what they want, if its a big print, they might noticed some soft focus/sharpness, but if they just get an 8x10 probly cant see it. As for light set up i would use no less than 3, depending if your outside or inside. Gonna say outside for this large of numbers. I would have 2 shoot threw/reflective umbrellas at each end, and one near center high above. That should give a balance light spread to everyone. Make sure you get about 5 shots of the group, people like to blink, and can add eyes or lips if need to. If you dont have a flash set up, or at least 2 lights, cloudy day lolz, Good luck, hoped i help ya

Gary Fong claims to have succsssfully photographed large groups of people with single flash and his own LightSphere diffuser. Bright walls and ceiling would bea must for this type of setup.

Get up on a tall ladder to see the faces of people beyond the 2nd row. having them look up will also help improve the appearance of those who may have a surplus of chins. open all the window coverings you can find (blinds, curtains). i would also consider burst mode...there