Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your winter landscapes that you have captured this year

Show off your winter landscapes that you have captured this year

I don't get to do much landscape photography anymore but since it snowed and it wasn't just ice that fell from the sky I thought I'd trek outside and try to capture something unique.

5D2, 16-35mm II, tripod, B+W polarizer filter, 4 images combined, Highlight tone priority

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x533/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/3441.January_2D00_snow_2D00_Arkansas_2D00_web.jpg[/img]

Re: Winter Landscape

Beautiful!

+1....I really like that picture. Although, someday, I hope we have enough dynamic range so that can be captured with 1 picture. For now, I gotta learn more about HDR.

Even though scenes like this take the right equipment, time, planing plus the hiking I always get bored quickly after looking at them. Its a landscape, basically all you can say is wow , that's awesome or pretty. God really did all the work. I guess that's why I'm more of a action type photographer or someone who likes to capture changing elements. It requires more from the photographer in some aspects and I think that these added things/elements say more about the photographer then the picture. One thing about landscape stuff is its all been done many times before. I like to do stuff that's never been done before or that I have not seen at least. When it comes to HDR images that term makes my stomach turn where I guess its because so many people have distorted it and taken it beyond a photographic level. The use of subtle blending using layers is a must without the halo's around objects. That is the only way that I can get myself to look at a so called HDR image. The high definition stuff can still be considered a photograph and not a CG image if you don't over do it and in addition don't add other elements that weren't in the original photograph. Back in the film days folks would dodge and burn to bring light up and down on the photographic paper similar to the technique I'm trying to achieve. I took photography back in high school during the mid to late 80's and it did not sink in then because I guess I had no patience for the process.

Bryan, that

Well to answer your question the best that I can "highlight tone priority" function allows the camera to capture more detail in the white areas where its easy to lose detail. The down side of this feature is it can usually create more noise in the darker areas plus its only available at a range of ISO settings which starts at 200. Can

A second image I shot which I like better. Did not combine any images for the final outcome where I like it better. It ended up leaving more of the reflections out of the water where I like the darker look.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x533/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/4718.winter.JPG[/img]

Both are really nice, But I like the second one a lot more. The branch adds a lot IMO, it gives you more of a sense of being there.

Michigan is a great place to be during winter. There are so many photo oppertunities. I hope you do not mind if I share one, and I hope it is not boring.[]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x530/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-66-81/IMG_5F00_0566LR.jpg[/img]

7D with 100-400mm <span style="color: #ff0000;"]L @ 266mm, f/7.1, 1/400 sec, ISO-100

Thanks for viewing.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Yeah, i would like to share too, if topic author do not mind []

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/26/7607.IMG_5F00_7537_5B00_small_5D00_.jpg[/img]

5DII 24-105 @ 24 mm, F/8, 1/200, ISO200. It was snowing, but doesn't look like in photo.