Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I do something wrong???

Did I do something wrong???

Hi,

was around the yard the other day a chnaced upon this frog just sitting there. I took some shots and below is a picture of what I got.

The question arises because I noticed that the eyes [which is where I focused] look sharp [at least to me] why does the body of the frog seem blurred or out of focus?? is it due to shallow DOF or is it because of camera shake?

shot with 5D mkII 24-70mm 1/30 F2.8 at 68mm focal length

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/4380.tugak.JPG[/img]

Re: Did I do something wrong???

At 2' your DOF would be .4". If you were closer even less. So some DOF, but it also looks like the AF may have Front Focused some. Notice some of the leaves closer to the camera are in focus but only the front of the frog and his back goes out of focus.

It would help if you provided some data like distance, is it croped etc.

yes image was cropped. I think i was about 2 feet or three feet from the frog. Yes I did Notice the leaves... how do I correct front focusing?

Can you tell us where your focus target was? I mean the one the camera used. It will be a red rectangle somewhere on the image and can be seen in Canon's DPP software if you don't remember clearly. That may help. If the lens was definitely auto-focusing on the right eye, then it seems your lens is front focusing, which would exacerbate the blur on the back. The good news is that your camera has AF Microadjust, so you can fix it yourself!

It also occurred to me that the reason for the appearance of front focusing could be that you were shooting at a significant downward angle, which would tilt the focal plane, and in this case in an undesirable (to you, at least) way. If this is true, then the lens may or may not be mis-focusing at all.

Can you post the whole picture

AF Microadjustment corrects front focus problems but you really can

here is the uncropped shot

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/7536.tugs.JPG[/img]

CEnter AF was the only AF point that was "on". it was aimed at the eye....

@ Philip ...

hmmm yes I think it was at a slight downward angle

I think the AF just hit on the grass in front of the frog.

Even if it hit the frogs eye, the AF is not so accurate that it would nail the point every time. For example I just set my 24x70 using lensalign the setting I ended up with was Plus 1 and the results at that setting it Front Focused slightly on 21 takes, was on focus where DOF was where it is supposed to be 11 and Back Focused 10. In all the sample picks the target point was in a acceptable focus, but the DOF would vary slightly front to back.

I don

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    I don't think you did anything wrong.

I should qualify this a little bit. You were shooting at 1/30 which would be hard to stop camera shake. But it doesn't look like camera shake to me. Camera shake would have taken everything out of focus not just the frogs back.

yup I kind of ruled out camera shake as well but I could never be too sure