Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just another Rumor, Canon Lens Price Increase

Re: Just another Rumor, Canon Lens Price Increase

Holy crap, i just checked amazon and the 50 1.8 is now $130. And two nights ago I swear when I was researching macro lenses, the Canon 100mm 2.8 non-L was $519 on B&H. Now it

Prices go up in any market, but I think this is also the gradual impact of the weakened dollar. Canon couldn

Prices have gone up...but not as much as the increases reported at the link I posted above. That couldmean prices will go up even further on 2/1, but sinceretailers now know the price increase has leaked, they're jacking up prices a bit right now, to squeeze a little more $ from customers who want to buy before the (real) increase.

A week ago there were rebates, if the prices go to those in Neuro

Many of the just-increased prices on canonpricewatch were adjustments to post-rebate prices (e.g. the 85L went from $1970 to $1999, but the rebate price last week was $1840).

not all the lenses had rebates, 200mm 2.0 used to have $500 rebate but not seen this time.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

not all the lenses had rebates, 200mm 2.0 used to have $500 rebate but not seen this time.

The rebates on the Super Tele's are extremly rare. I can't rember ever seeing one on the 500mm, it seems like the 400mm F2.8 had one a while back. With those lenses you may be waiting a long time before you see a rebate.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    The rebates on the Super Tele's are extremly rare. I can't rember ever seeing one on the 500mm, it seems like the 400mm F2.8 had one a while back. With those lenses you may be waiting a long time before you see a rebate.

Just checked on photoprice.ca, since they show price and rebate history for US and Canada.

The 200mm f/2 had various US and Canadian rebates over the last 2 years, $300-$500.
    The 500mm had $500 off for May-June 2010, but that's the only rebate in the 3.5 year history shown.
    The 400 f/5.6 was $100 off for most of 2008
    The 400 f/2.8 was $250-$300 off in 2008, and $1000 off in May-June this 2010.
    The 600mm, 800mm lenses were also rebated during May-June this year.

Whether the plentiful super-tele rebates this year point towards future rebates, or if we won't see them rebated again for another 3+ years, I don't know.

On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston
    The 500mm had $500 off for May-June 2010, but that's the only rebate in the 3.5 year history shown.

I think about it a little more, I do rember they did have a rebate on the 500mm. When they did it all the retailers raised there prices closer to the suggest retail and you didn't realize the big savings. The point is the rebates are far less commonon the tele's than other lenses. I wouldn't call rebates for two months out of year plentifull.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    I wouldn't call rebates for two months out of year plentifull.

You see a large number of rebates on more common lenses, often twice a year every year, for longer periods, sure. But what I meant by plentiful, was that historically there have been nearly no rebates on super-teles. If you need them, you need them, we're not offering you a deal. But this year pretty much every expensive super-tele had a rebate. Compared to historical data, this year has seen plentiful rebates on super-teles.

All super-teles having rebates this year could mean any of three things. First, they'll be joining a yearly rebate trend, as more people move to DSLRs and want to shoot far away wildlife, etc. Second, it was a cashflow move. As in, "We need cash. Lets offer a rebate on our super expensive lenses, and see how many people who've been sitting on the fence bite." Third, something else that hasn't crossed my mind.

On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L