Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Experience w/ Canon Factory Service Center

My Experience w/ Canon Factory Service Center

Good Morning All!!

I am basically just posting this for anyone that maybe debating now or in the future about sending their gear to Canon for inspection/repair. I have always wondered how much would shipping run, how long with they have my gear, what are they like to deal with, will I be pleased with their service. Well, now I am about to find out and just thought I'd jot down a log on how things are going ...maybe someone will find it helpful.

Most of you know I purchased the 135mm f/2 and after giving the lens a +14 micro-adjustment, I did achieve sharpness but was not happy with having this much of an adjustment and sent it back to B&H. I ordered a second copy last week from Amazon and this one couldn't achieve focus or sharpness no matter what I did! Is it the lens? My camera? I could have sent the lens back to Amazon but then I'd never know for sure if my camera had an issue. Since the warranty is running out on the7D, Isent it, the 135mmL (and the 35mm L) off to Canon Factory Service Repair in Va. The 35mm was my most difficult to micro-adjust so I sent it along for the ride.

I filled out the forms on Canon's website (one for each piece) and packaged them up. As noted, I removed all accessories from the camera and I also did not mail them back in their original boxes ...never know if they'll just come back in brown cardboard boxes.

For the form for the 7D I noted difficulty achieving focus, higher than average noise at high ISO settings (this assumption I came to from seeing photos on this site), and darker than normal viewfinder.

1/10 - Mailed UPS Ground. It costed $61.17 to ship w/ $3,000 insured value.

1/13 - Canon received it the morning.
    <p sizset="0" sizcache="15"]Morning of 1/14 - Received this email from Canon ...
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="margin-left: 22.7pt; width: 754px;"]
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td colspan="2" width="599" valign="top" style="padding-right: 5.4pt; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0in; width: 449.55pt; padding-top: 0in;"]
    <p style="line-height: 100%;" class="yiv308429984MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]We have received your equipment for evaluation and repair. Based on our initial examination, we will start the necessary repairs at no charge to you. You can expect the repair to be completed and returned back to you within approximately 7 business days* from the date shown above. There is no need to respond to this notice.

Please note that in the unlikely event that any additional internal damage is found due to liquid/water, sand, corrosion, battery leakage or impact (such as dropping the unit), a revised estimate will be sent for your authorization, since these conditions are specifically excluded from warranty coverage.

<p class="yiv308429984MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]Thank you for purchasing Canon products and for allowing us this opportunity to serve you.
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="338" valign="top" style="padding-right: 5.4pt; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0in; width: 253.8pt; padding-top: 0in;"]
    <p class="yiv308429984MsoNormal"]
    </td>
    <td width="261" valign="top" style="padding-right: 5.4pt; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0in; width: 195.75pt; padding-top: 0in;"]
    <p class="yiv308429984MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]Best Regards,
    Canon Factory Service Center

</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td colspan="2" width="599" valign="top" style="padding-right: 5.4pt; padding-left: 5.4pt; padding-bottom: 0in; width: 449.55pt; padding-top: 0in;"]
    <p style="line-height: 100%;" class="yiv308429984MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 8pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]Please note that this E-mail is to inform you of the status of your repair only. Please contact Canon's Customer Care Center at <span style="background: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; cursor: hand; border-bottom: #366388 2px dotted;" id="lw_1295027223_5" class="yshortcuts"]1-800-828-4040 with any questions concerning your repair. Please do not reply to this email.
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td colspan="2" width="599"]
    <span style="font-size: 8pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]*Actual times may vary. Seasonal volume or repairs requiring special parts may add more time.

</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

Personally, I think the last line in the letter should read ...we apologize for your having to use our repair center after spending $$$$, rather than "allowing us this opportunity to serve you" but I am still grateful to get the email letting me know the status. If all goes well I should have everything back within a week!

Updates to come ....

Denise

Re: My Experience w/ Canon Factory Service Center

1/21/11 - Received an email this morning from Canon stating that they shipped my gear back to me yesterday. I should receive it Monday, 1/24. The email also showed that there were no charges to me. The main thing that the email did not state is what (if anything) was found to be wrong with the 7D, 135L or 35L. If I don

I received a similar e-mail from the factory with my 50mm f1.4. There was a short explanation on the invoice in the box when it arrived. The invoice for mine was zero also, covered under warranty.

Let us know the final outcome.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    There was a short explanation on the invoice in the box when it arrived

Same here. It was in real small print at the bottom. I missed it the first time thinking it would be somewhere in the middle of what looked like a big blank page.

Gotta wait 'til Monday? Man that sucks. Must be some Bear fans at the Canon Service Dept.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Personally I have no problems with Canon Factory Service. I actually live about 30 min from the Virginia Center and 5 min from the call center. I have Platinum level CPS membership. This saves me 60% on all repairs and I get free expedited shipping to them and free 2 day return shipping. I also get 6 free clean and check vouchers, and free rentals. Canon will provide a free loaner the day they receive the equipment until you receive yours back.

They have a Gold membership level, which is cheaper a $100, have 2 clean and checks, rentals, fast turn around repair and a 30% discount.

usa.canon.com/CPS

The emails are rarely informative; the printout attached (by rubber band) to each piece tells you what was found and done.

Ehcalum, congratulations on being a professional shooter who qualifies for CPS. The rest of us wish we could do this.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

The emails are rarely informative; the printout attached (by rubber band) to each piece tells you what was found and done.

Ehcalum, congratulations on being a professional shooter who qualifies for CPS. The rest of us wish we could do this.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yes, their standardized emails leave alot to be desired but it is nice to know that I can expect more information when I receive my gear back on Monday.

Congrats, from me too, Ehcalum!! That is a reallysweet deal you qualify for! Too bad that I will never be in that group! []

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Congrats, from me too, Ehcalum!! That is a reallysweet deal you qualify for! Too bad that I will never be in that group!

Denise, one more camera and I think you have enough equipment to qualify. You did sell one of your pics and you are the company photographer it appears.

I just signed up. The only quiz was what equipment you own they didn't even ask about profession. I guess if you can prove you own at least $5,000 worth of equipment they require they trust you are professional.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    I guess if you can prove you own at least $5,000 worth of equipment they require they trust you are professional.

How do you do that? Provide serial numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by piiooo
    How do you do that? Provide serial numbers?

If you go to canon's website, and you have an account, there is a link at the bottom to sign up.

Its a four or five step process. And yes it asks for your equipments serial numbers. I think the lowest level required two cameras above a 20d, and three professional lenses. Lowest level is free, second level is $100 and the highest level is $500.