Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Experience w/ Canon Factory Service Center

Re: My Experience w/ Canon Factory Service Center

Thanks a lot HD![]

FYI, the Gold level gift this year is a monopod cover, the platnium is a Think Tank Shapeshifter bag. Also your clean and check vouchers are only good for a single year and do not carry over.

Good to know, thanks!

I've been considering signing up, at least for the free membership. I hope I don't need repair work, but my at least one of my lenses is now out of warranty, and more will follow - getting 20% off a repair, for free, seems like a good deal.

For those considering it, here's the LINK.

Note that while you need two >20D bodies (or one current 1-series body) and3 'professional' lenses,they define 'professional lenses' pretty loosely - the list includes lenses like the 50/1.4, 85/1.8, EF-S 17-55mm, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehcalum
    FYI, the Gold level gift this year is a monopod cover, the platnium is a Think Tank Shapeshifter bag. Also your clean and check vouchers are only good for a single year and do not carry over.

I did the Gold so I could get a CPS camera strap and maybe send my 300mm in to be checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I've been considering signing up, at least for the free membership.

At some point, maybe if we buy enough gear they will give us a special membership where they will come out to our houses to service our gear. Or at the very least we will be on a first name basis with a lot of the top people at Canon. (Like Daniel Browning is withFujio Mitarai)

Within the past two or three years, they increased the criteria such that you had to make 51% of your income from photography. Have they dropped that? I
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    Within the past two or three years, they increased the criteria such that you had to make 51% of your income from photography. Have they dropped that? I'm not willing to give up a lucrative career so I can make peanuts on photography, just so I can qualify for CPS.

It is not written that way, this is what it says:

"An individual, self-employed or an employee of a professional imaging business, that, as a full-time profession, is directly involved in the creation of images; either moving or still."

Which can be interpreted several ways. By this definition the clerk at the copy store would qualify, and not a full time photographer at a major company thatis not a pro imaging business. That wouldn't make sense. As always Canon's communication skills could use some improvement.

Each person I guess would need to decide whether they qualify or not, I just know that when you fill out the application it didn't ask you any questions nor did you have to provide any proof about your occupation.

The application to join, does not even ask if you qualify. It only asks what equipment you have. Seems Canon is more concerned about you buying their equipment than how you make your money.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Within the past two or three years, they increased the criteria such that you had to make 51% of your income from photography. Have they dropped that? I'm not willing to give up a lucrative career so I can make peanuts on photography, just so I can qualify for CPS.

The requirements state that you must be, "An individual, self-employed or an employee of a professional imaging business, that, as a full-time profession, is directly involved in the creation of images; either moving or still."

According to posts here and elsewhere, they don't actually check. For me personally, I note that they don't state that the 'full-time profession' which involves 'the creation of images' needs to be performed using Canon equipment...maybe it's sophistry, but I'm going to go ahead and consider photomicroscopy as something that fits that definition.

Photomicroscopy definitely should fit the definition. I have a 10D on my microscope right now.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/6013.Sperm-of-Newt-2.jpg[/img]

Newt sperm. 1000x.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

When I applied a few years ago, it did ask for my position, of which I stated Staff photographer for TriDuo Photography.

Only problem I