Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 1D Mk III

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon 1D Mk III

Ok, here goes my most irrational thought yet ...

I have been looking at camera bodies online for part ofthe weekend. Now, it could be because I am missing my 7d and once I have it back I will not feel the overwhelming desire to own a second body as I do now but I do know I never want to go thru this being without one again!

So, I am looking at possibly getting a used or refurbished 1D Mk III. All I know about this camera is what I've read in Bryan's review. I am hoping this will buy me for one thing,better high ISO results with lower noise and of course the other plus being speed. It seems like a really good camera but the two things that I'm not sure about are #1 - only 10 MP and #2 - How do I know ifthe AF mirror assembly has been corrected to fix the problem with poor AI Servo AF accuracy. With that, I don't know if it is still a step up or not compared tothe 7d.

Only hitch, I would have to sell 2 lenses to help pay for the 1D Mk III. I have thought about this a great deal and I know I would get much more use out of a second camera than I do out of well, one of the lenses anyway...I rarely reach for my 17-55mm.

Any input greatly appreciated! If you own a 1D Mk III, I'd love to hear what you think of it!

Denise

Re: Canon 1D Mk III

Denise the 1D3 is my wildlife camera, and I

Thanks, Jonathan for the information! The weight of it is definitely at the top of my list of negatives. I thought the 7D was heavy until I got used to it but not so sure I

I'd wait for the replacement 5D2. No way I'd spend the money on a 1D3 or 1D4 unless I was planning to go to Iraq or Afghanistan to do some news work or document a Mount Everest climb.

That

Denise, I'v been thinking getting a 1D body too for a while, I hesitate to buy it just because it doesn't hold that much value when you resell it. I think people using their own money to buy a 1DIV are either very rich or very brave[]

anyway, the main reason I want a 1D is that I found the Al Servo AF performance of the 7D seems not good enough. and I got 300mm, 400mm and 500mm three lenses now I do need a second camera body.

if you feel something that the 7D can't do better job and really need a second body for wild life, you should go for it. or maybe get a super tele lens first, but then, 5D3 maybe a better choice who knows.

I'm facing the same problem, Joel mentioned there is a used 1D III for sell for $2000, be brave? maybe you go first Denise[]

I am in the same boat as you are, my two current bodies are a 5d2 and a 40d. The significant difference in image quality between the two is why I

Denise

The 1D Mark III and the 7D are diffrent grades of the same animal. Which I think you probably know this, they are the speed action high end versions of Canon's cameras. Where the 1Ds Mark III and the 5D would be the IQ quality high end.

Buying the 1D Mark III would give you a back up camera that does the same thing. Whether the 1D is your main camera or you 7D. IF speed and accuracy are your main and only objectives then go for it.

It would make more sensefor me to have one fast camera and one IQ camera, say a 7D and a 5D, or a 1D Mark III and a 5D, or a 1Ds Mark III and a 1D Mark IV [:P]

I think the the 5D Mark II would expand yourcapabilities more than the 1D Mark III.

But, it might notbe a bad plan to get the 1D Mark III thinking you would trade the 7D off and get the 5D at some point.

Rick

Denise,

I upgraded from the 40D to a used 1D MKIII from Adorama ..... I haven

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

It would make more sensefor me to have one fast camera and one IQ camera, say a 7D and a 5D, or a 1D Mark III and a 5D,
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I agree with Rick. When I look at the "post you best birt shot" threads, the best images IMO are shot with the 1DIII or 7D. DxOMark rates the IQ of the 1DIII over the 7D.

If the 7D was heavy for you at first, the 1DIII will be very heavy to you. The 7D is an excellent camera. You have been talking about the 5DII for a while. I think you should stick with that.

A 7D plus 1DIII would be a good tool set but my vote is for the 7D plus 5DIIfor your tool setfor the types of images you seem to enjoy capturing.

Mark
    Mark