Thread: Are all CANON "sensors" created equal in terms of image quality??

Are all CANON "sensors" created equal in terms of image quality??

I've been wondering about this for some time now....

are all canon camera sensors equal in terms of the image quality they produce??? regardless of it being full frame, 1.6x crop or 1.3x crop, will they give the same image quality??/ assuming of course everything wil be the same .... subject, exposure settings, len used etc....

** corrected the typo on the title

Re: Are all CANON "sensors" created equal in terms of iamge quality??

I have a conspiracy theory about this.

While some are made similar, like the Rebels and the 7D which are supposed to have the same one. The 1.3 and Full of course are not. But even then is all Firmware that runs your camera made the same?

I think that how well your camera works is as much marketing as it is tech advancement. For instance if you were Canon you wouldn't want the 7D to outperform the 1D series at the time. And you wouldn't want it to have better IQ than the 5D, you would have made it to fall between the 50D and the 5D.

Here is why I say that, you take a picture directly out of the 5D and it will take very little post process. Take the same out of the 7D and with a fair amount of post process it can get close to the 5D. Why is that? My theory is that they didn't make the firmware in the 7D all it could be, because it has to fit its place.

Same thing with lenses, you don't see the new 70x200 beating the 100-400 when it is using a 2x extender. Maybe it never would because of the dynamics, but even if you could I doubt you ever will. Marketing wouldn't allow it.

To answer your question, the full frame sensor of the 1Ds Mark III and 5D will have better IQ on a stationary object than either of the croped sensors. Even if crop sensors could, Marketing wouldn't allow it....[:^)]

Re: Are all CANON "sensors" created equal in terms of iamge quality??

yes HD I do see your point.....

Re: Are all CANON "sensors" created equal in terms of image quality??

This is a very interesting question I

It depends on your point of view of IQ. There are several aspects and how do you want to average them. Noise, sharpens, color accuracy, etc...

In 2006, shootsmarter.com performed a DSLR shootout. The comparison was strictly skin tone accuracy. Same subject model, lighting, exposure, lens. etc... The test was very well controlled. The winner was the 5D with the 30D coming in second, the 1DII third and the 1DsII last. I left the Nikons out of the ranking because I do not remember where they fell but the 5D beat them all. I downloaded the full files that they posted on the website. The 1Ds is noticeably sharper than the 30D but the skin tone does look better on the 30D and looks best on the 5D. Since I mostly shoot portraits I went with the 5D. I wish they would do this DSLR shootout with the cameras that are available today. I would be interested to see how the 1DsIII would compare with the 5DII for strictly skin tone. Anyone on this forum have an opinion of 1DIII-vs-5DII for skin tone?

Mark
    Mark

Canon sensors are similar, but not the same. Even if you buy two identical models of the exact same camera from the same retailer on the same day, you can still get slightly different performance from each one due to unit-to-unit variation. But for most purposes, these differences are not significant, and in the same way, differences between models may or may not be important to you, depending on your circumstances.

My experience with the 1DsII was a very awsome camera. The pixel density on that sensor hit the sweet spot and I have yet to see it surpassed at low ISO settings.

The 1DsIII outperforms the 5Dii in every aspect with the exception of high ISO IMO.