Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best prime lens for low light conditions? that has good fast AF for the canon rebel t2i?

Whats the best prime lens for low light conditions? that has good fast AF for the canon rebel t2i?

I want a canon prime lens thats equivalent to around 50mm on the rebel t2i since its a small sensor dslr?

thats good in low light conditions that pretty sharp? any lenses with all that? and im a beginner and i really want low light conditions

what do you have to have on a lens for low light conditions? thanks

Re: Whats the best prime lens for low light conditions? that has good fast AF for the canon rebel t2i?

The Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM (56mm) and the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM (45mm) are probably your best bets.

Re: Whats the best prime lens for low light conditions? that has good fast AF for the canon rebel t2i?

What

I

Caleb, these posts (your question) and their answers are frequently a combination of opinion (what's the best) and budget. Can you afford the best? The two lenses mentioned by Matt are $1350 and $1615, respectively, from B&H.

Or are you more interested in the best value low-light lenses.

Braden

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I'd definitely try the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

I've often thought about selling it and buying the SIgma.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Does anyone here have experience with this lens?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb

I want a canon prime lens thats equivalent to around 50mm on the rebel t2i since its a small sensor dslr?

Just to make clear, since I have the feeling that you're confused: You like the 50mm perspective on a full frame camera and you want the equivalentof that perspective on a T2i?

What is your motivation to want a 50mm particularly? 50mm on an EF-S lensgives the same perspective as 50mm on an EF lens.

If I'm wrong, just ignore this and go with the choices that the others have mentioned. However be careful in your choices. My friend has the Sigma 30mm on his 7D and is not happy with it. He has AF-precision problems. (both fore- and background-focus) So he cannot calibrate it properly. However if you buy from a respectable store, Sigma has a 5 year warranty and they are happy to calibrate it for you for free. Plus: Canon lenses can have these problems as well. (although they aren't that famous for it [])

A lot of fast lenses need somewhat adjustment before they are 100% precise and accurate. However most people wouldn't see the difference in real life shooting for small precision-problems.

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    Does anyone here have experience with this lens?

I have a decent copy of this lens and I love it! In this focal length category you also have Canon EF 28mm 1.8, Canon 28mm 2.8, Canon EF 35mm2.0, Canon 35mm 1.4L.

The Sigma is the only other than L choice that gives you 1.4but will not break your bank. I like the color from it as well.
    Yes, wide openit is softer then the L, but the image can be sharpened selectively in post. And it costs a fraction of the L's price. As far as fringing and flare it is better or at least not worse than other non L counterparts. The autofocus is quick and accurate. I am able to photograph kids in motion, often indoors, with high keeper rate.

I bought mine slightly used in excellent condition through local Craiglist. I conducted tests on the spot so I knew I was buying a good copy. I also tried the EF 28 1.8 and found the Sigma to be more satisfactory.

The only major disadvantage is that the lens is made strictly for APS-C sensors.

I use it on my Rebel XSI as a part of take everywhere kit.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other info.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by piiooo
    I have a decent copy of this lens and I love it!

That's the thing with Sigma. I have their 50mm 1.4 and it's awesome. IMO much better than the Canon equivalent in the same price-category. However I would be lying if I'd say that my lens is perfect. Mine did need a +9 frontfocus adjustment. For me this was no problem at all. Also because I could return it if I didn't like it.

But simply stating I just love it. It has some imperfections, but I have some imperfectionson my much more expensive L-glass as well []

When you buy Sigma you know that you can get great quality lenses(in a smaller budget), although checking the AF before buying a Sigma lens seams very adviseable.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb
    and im a beginner and i really want low light conditions

The other thing to be aware of is that, like almost everything in photography (and like much in life) there are trade-offs. So, you want to shoot in low light and that means a wide aperture, which means a prime. So far, so good. Say you splurge and get the 35mm f/1.4L. That wonderful, wide f/1.4 means you can shoot in really low light. So, you put the lens on your T2i, set the aperture to f/1.4 and take a shot of your family sitting around a candle-lit dinner table. You have sufficient light for handholding and probably even enough light so your shutter speed is fast enough to stop motion. However, when you look at the picture you discover that only one of your family members is actually in focus, and the rest of them are blurry.

The trade off here is depth of field - that wide aperture that lets in a lot of light also means a shallow depth of field. If that's the effect you want, great. Ambient light shots of a single person would work wall (at a distance of 9', you've got a depth of field of about 12"). But depending on your subjects, an f/1.4 lens might not work. Another option to consider is adding a flash to your kit. The pop-up flash is terrible, IMO, but an external Speedlite such as the 430EX II, bounced off the ceiling, provides a nice light source.