Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Long exposure problem

Help with Long exposure problem

Hi,

I've been shooting night pics at long exposures and i'm having some problems when i set the shutter speed to 25" or 30" the final picture will have flares..

I'm not sure what it is but there would be light that shows up on the picture. (do not have an example at the moment) My thoughts are that they are the filters I'm using, but the thing is i'm using B+W UV filters i thought that getting B+W will prevent these type of problems.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Should i just remove filters when taking long exposures?

Thanks

Re: Help with Long exposure problem

Are you covering the viewfinder?

Could be the filter, could be the lens, also could be the camera. Give us more details on what equipment you are using and an example would be nice too. Might just be normal.

covering the viewfiner? what is that suppose to do?

I am currently at work no pics to upload i will do so tonight.

I am using 28-70 f.8L and 70-200 f4L IS both with B+W UV filters. happend both times.

Camera i'm using is 450D XSI

When I shoot long exposure, I always remove filters, and use a lens hood. Any stray light entering the lens at long exposure can easily turn into a flare and get exaggerated in size. Also, I've heard that leaving the viewfinder open may allow light to enter the camera body through the viewfinder opening and affect your exposure if it reaches the sensor.

Yea i recomend removing lens hoods and all filters and also covering the eyepiece so there is no light source behind you

Quote Originally Posted by znxlegion

covering the viewfiner? what is that suppose to do?

I am currently at work no pics to upload i will do so tonight.

I am using 28-70 f.8L and 70-200 f4L IS both with B+W UV filters. happend both times.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Stray light can come in the viewfinder. Your camera strap should have a little rubber piece used to cover it. You have to pull off the eye cup first.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks guys

I'd leave the lens hood on, because it's designed to keep the unwanted stray lights away from entering the lens.