Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash batteries!?

Flash batteries!?

I have pretty much no clue on what are good, great, bad, or terrible batteries. Im mostly talking about rechargable ones only. I bought a delkon 2900 mah set of 4. I really like them, but are there ones that are just as good for less, that last longer or little less. I tried googling some info, but all i pretty much get is spam to sell batteries. So if anyone can or what to, what kind you use, are they dependable and possible where you bought them. Thx for the heads up on info.

Steven

Re: Flash batteries!?

I use and recommend Sanyo Eneloops. They have lower internal resistance, so they give the flash more power even with 30% lower mAh ratings (more light, less heat), plus they have excellent discharge rates, so they

Sweets! thx for the info, will check them out.

I'm using GP ReCyko batteries. Although they are only 2050mAh, they charge very very fast and untill this moment I haven't had empty batteries yet. I think The Enerloops are working on the same principle. And I think GP is a European brand only, but I'm not sure of that.

If you have higher mAh batteries they will lose power over time faster than the kind I'm talking about. Don't know the theory on it, but it works. I have 8 spare batteries. Haven't used them yet, since I bought and charged them 3 months ago, but I'm pretty confident that they are still pretty full of power. A normal rechargeable batterie loses power very fast when it's not being used.

By the way, recycle times are also very good. I think my flash would sooner overheat than my batteries would fail...

I'm using Maha Powerex 2700 mah and Maha Imedion 2400 mah batteries. The Powerex have a nice quick cycle time but don't keep their charge if kept in storage between uses which is why I use the Imedions. They can be left in storage without use for ages and still hold a good charge.

At the moment I'm using 12 Powerex batteries at once - 4 in the 580 exII and 8 in a Pixel TD-381 battery pack. It works really really well. Recycle times are pretty much negligible and I've never had an issue with the speelite or the battery pack overheating.

A lot of people also swear by the Sanyo Eneloops. I haven't tried them personally but all those people can't be wrong. You could take Daniel's advice - he's reasonably trustworthy. [:P]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

MAHA Powerex here as well. I have been using them for a few years now and I am very happy.

Maha makes Imedion batteries, which are similar to Eneloops. I would like to try them but for now I cannot seem kill my Powerex batteries[]

MAHA also makes battery chargers with a microprocessor which allow charging 1 to 8 AAor AAA batteries using different modes includingfast and rapid charge.

I own a number of Sanyo Eneloops for my speedlights and even if I go a long time without using them, they have always performed well!

I like my MAHA battery charger, but the Powerex batteries I bought a couple of years ago didn

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Honestly, I've had great luck with Energizer and Duracell NiMH batteries--especially the "pre-charged" Duracells that are much like the Eneloops.

I find my Duracell Pre-Charge to actually last longer than my Sanyo Eneloops. I know to state such a thing is blasphemous around here but...

Well Keith, the Duracell is more expensive than the Eneloops here, so I guess you get what you pay for [6]

Nonetheless I think that we can easily conclude that the pre-charged/eneloops/ReCyco type of battery of whatever brand is the "best" you could get.

When I still used standard Philips penlites for my flashes(about 1,50Euro each week), I noticed a decrease in recycle-time very shortly. With the rechargeable batteries I use now I haven't seen this phenomenon. I guess they just give the same recycle-times and power untill they run out of power. I'm pleased that I "invested" in good batteries[]