Thread: Are LCD screens on Canon bodies 'profiled'

Are LCD screens on Canon bodies 'profiled'

Hi!

I'm wondering - are the LCD screens on the back of Canon DSLRs 'profiled'? Meaning - do they show the same color as a profiled monitor would?

Cheers!

Wojtek

Re: Are LCD screens on Canon bodies 'profiled'

In my XSi LCD screen the colors are more saturated and the brightness is higher than in a standard monitor or in print.

I use profiled monitor and the colors are juyst different than on the LCD. Funny thing is that I like those on LCD better actually.... does anyone have any formal information on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Wojciech Drzazgowski
    use profiled monitor and the colors are juyst different than on the LCD. Funny thing is that I like those on LCD better actually....

Remove the color profile on your monitor (i.e. return it to the factory default) and see if you like that better. Display manufacturers know that in general, people like displays with higher contrast and more saturation, so default calibrations are set accordingly. Proper calibration enables the display to show a wider range of colors and more dynamic range, but most people think that's 'flat' (i.e. it wouldn't sell well from a showroom floor). Canon's little LCD's just follow this same trend.

When I set my MacBook Pro's monitor to the default Color LCD profile, my desktop wallpaper image has a lot more 'punch' - but some of the highlight colors are clearly over-saturated, and a lot of the shadow detail is lost.

Actually I think I was not entirely clear on what I meant... by 'I like LCD colors more' I meant that they seem to match the real colors better than when the same picture displyed on my monitor.

This is especially visible with skin tones - on LCD they tend to look natural, on monitor they often have - for example - reddish cast etc.

This is pretty strange to me as - as I said - I use calibrated monitor, I did the calibration a few times, made sure the profile is up to date etc etc. Strange.

Wojciech, a good monitor, uncalibrated, can be more accurate than a bad monitor that has been carefully calibrated. Either the built-in LCD is pretty good, or your monitor is not that great.

My photo teacher said that the screen on the back of your camera, displays the image as though it was a jpeg with if you shot it in raw, kinda makes sence, on back of camera seems to have more contrast, sat. than when i look at it at home/school.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven23
    My photo teacher said that the screen on the back of your camera, displays the image as though it was a jpeg

Great point - the on-camera review is the jpg (if you shoot RAW, the camera is still embedding a jpg preview image in the RAW file). For the review image, Picture Styles are applied (and the Standard style does have boosted contrast and saturation, to 'please the masses').