Thread: What did you shoot?.......Jan 17 to Jan 23, 2011

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What did you shoot?.......Jan 17 to Jan 23, 2011

Sean - that's great!!

Congrats to you and Amber!!!! :-)

Icy pebbles by patrick.durham, on Flickr

Ok, it was taken on the 16th...but I finally got around to post-processing that batch of pictures. Exif info on the clickthrough.
    My gear: Canon 500D, 17-55mm F/2.8 IS, 70-200 F/4L IS, 100mm F/2.8 macro (non-USM), 50mm F/1.4

Sean, Congratulations!!! Wish the best for both of you. Now she has no choice but to be in your pictures. [:P]

Great shots everyone!

Here are come geese shots from last week and some macro stuff. Started a macro guessing game on my blog so I guess I will be doing that all year long. Geese are with 70-200mm f4 IS and the macro is with the original 100mm macro USM, Kenko 1.4xTC and a whole stack of kenko extension tubes.

Great news Sean, and best wishes to you and Amber.

Erno, I love the landscape shots. Makes me want to get out into the mountains again with an ultrawide zoom.

Last weekend I visited the ruins of Dunottar Castle, which overlooks the North Sea. I tried some slightly different post processing on this shot. I wasn't satisfied with the results of the highlight recovery slider in Lightroom (the sky was still very pale), but by reducing the luminance of the blue colour channel I was able to bring out the detail in the sky and the surface of the water.

5D Mark II, EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM @ 24mm, f/5.6, 1/200s, ISO 100 (increased exposure by ½ stop in Lightroom)

This is the Bridge of Dee in Aberdeen, my home town, on a rare sunny day (for January). Some rowers were taking advantage of the fine conditions on the river. They are about a mile from my viewpoint.

5D Mark II, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM + EF1.4x II @ 280mm, f/5.6, 1/400s, ISO 100
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-12-2011 at 10:11 AM.

So many terrific images!

Andy, that castle on the coast is incredible.

Kayaker, your pug made me go back and watch Men in Black. The landscapes I posted are of Lake Tahoe, just south of Incline Villiage. I've kayaked on this lake when there were white caps, so to see it in it's usual serene state is very relaxing to me. Besides a small family of three, I was the only fool out there in the freezing temperatures.

And SteveU, your comment on the watering hole is spot on. Using my ultra wide lens, i had to put my glass of red wine next to the base of my tripod, which is just out of frame!

Congrats to you Sean!

Erno, those are some nice images of Lake Tahoe, great comp..

Andy, nice shot of the castle, the sky is very nice, I think the the forground could be brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    Andy, nice shot of the castle, the sky is very nice, I think the the forground could be brighter

I agree that the foreground is dark, but there was no more headroom to increase the exposure and I'm not really into HDR.If I wait for Canon to release a true 14 bit camera, the castle will have fallen into the sea, so maybe the answer is to go back there at sunset one day.