Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenses hold their value? I'm beginning to wonder!

Re: Lenses hold their value? I'm beginning to wonder!

I see people selling lenses on ebay and craigslist within 10% of the B&H price all the time (sometimes 10% over). Personally, I

Check out the "buy and sell" forum on Fred Miranda, I always go there for used lens prices. It

If you make a private sale, the end-user purchase is "completed immediately". If you make a sale to a camera store, they have price risk, as they have no way to know what new lenses will be announced by Canon or competitors, or what rebates might come out on existing lenses. Combine that with the need for a profit, and you see more of the picture.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    So I guess to say glass holds it's value ...I'm not quite sure what that means

I've had pretty good luck with Tamron. I sold one for $80 more than I bought it for in less than a year. The more expensive Canon lens...not so good luck.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Another way to look at it, even if I take a hit ...it still is much, much cheaper than if I would have rented the lenses!

Another way to look at it, even if I take a hit ...it still is much, much cheaper than if I would have rented the lenses!

That's why I never rent, and I really don't see the point of doing so just to try out a lens (although something like renting a supertele for a trip, or an MP-E 65mm for a specific project, etc., makes a lot of sense). Personally, if I want to try out a lens, I buy a used copy. Like Daniel, I never pay more than 70% of the cost of a new copy, that way if it's not the lens I want long-term, I essentially break even on the re-sale (I've resold some for a profit, others for a loss, but it has pretty much balanced out). Renting for 4 days or a week may not enough time to thoroughly evaluate a lens, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

That's why I never rent, and I really don't see the point of doing so just to try out a lens (although something like renting a supertele for a trip, or an MP-E 65mm for a specific project, etc., makes a lot of sense).

I still think this is a theory for wealthy people and so I cannot take the same conclusion. I think renting sometimes is the best option you have. Else...just deal with the lenses you have. However I must also say that I never rented longer than a weekend.

Anyway, it's normal to lose 25-30 percent of the new-price. And if you sell it to a store it might be even worse. I have sold my 17-55 back then with 25% loss exactly. Lens was only a half year old or so. If I had sold it 3 years later, it would probably be about as much loss. So I guess that's where the statement: glass holds value comes from. Long-term value... And honestly on a camera body you could take a much bigger hit than 30 percent...

One more thing though. If you don't really need to sell the lens right away. Wait for spring/summer. Lens-prices in stores go up then and you could also expect a better salevalue then. However buying something obviously would also cost more [:P]

Oh before I forget, I think all lenses go up in price in februari? Wait for that to happen and then try to sell your lens. It might be worth the wait.

Good luck!

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

<div style="CLEAR:both;"]</div>

That's why I never rent, and I really don't see the point of doing so just to try out a lens (although something like renting a supertele for a trip, or an MP-E 65mm for a specific project, etc., makes a lot of sense).

I still think this is a theory for wealthy people and so I cannot take the same conclusion. I think renting sometimes is the best option you have. Else...just deal with the lenses you have. However I must also say that I never rented longer than a weekend.

This is why I love the Bill Me Later gig. I buy a lens use it for 5 1/2 months, if I find I use it a lot, I keep it. If I don't think it is worthwhile I sell it before the interest free period is up. Like now my 6 months is up on my 50L but I love it and it has replaced my 35L in function. So the 35 will go to cover most of the price of the 50 and all will be right in my universe.

70% of the new price for a clean copy?! this is the deal hard to find IMO especially for L lenses( I know you can find some kit lenses or third party lenses for 30% off or even more), plus if everybody follow this rule, then I don

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    70% of the new price for a clean copy?! this is the deal hard to find IMO especially for L lenses

I have bought the following lenses used:
    • EF 200mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L II - 59% of new price
    • EF 300mm f/4<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L IS - 62% of new price
    • EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 <span style="color: #00ff00;"]DO IS - 64% of new price
    • MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro - 54% of new price
    • EF 1.4x II Extender - 60% of new price

All of them were in excellent condition (the 200mm prime was missing the lens case, not a big deal). These were all off my local Craigslist in the past year, within easy driving distance of Boston, and obviously all are reasonably high end lenses (I certainly don't expect to find a 500/4 or 300/2.8 for that sort of discount...but, you never know!).