Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lenses hold their value? I'm beginning to wonder!

Re: Lenses hold their value? I'm beginning to wonder!

Hi Denise,

Sorry about the location changes of your family, I thought there was an "expected arrival" and you were gearing up for more portrait work.

What direction and what lens are you heading towards?

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Very sad when my daughter sends me photos taken at Sears Portrait Studio! [img]/emoticons/emotion-9.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Ouch[U]

This will leave you with 24mm as your widest for your 7D. If you get the 5DII the 24 will be plenty wide IMO.

Whats you r plan? Or is that a secret till you have sold your lens?

Mark
    Mark

No secrets. I just don't take a lot of wide angle shots or do any portraits like I thought (hoped)I would.

I sold my 3 year old 17-55mm on ebay for $900 on ebay. If I were to take it to a camera store, I

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

Hi Denise,

Sorry about the location changes of your family, I thought there was an "expected arrival" and you were gearing up for more portrait work.

What direction and what lens are you heading towards?

Steve
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yes, my daughter is expecting and although she still lives in Wisconsin her &amp; her husbandswork schedules and life bring themmy way less and less. And the same for my son and his family.

If was really, really tough deciding to sell it. I've been debating for weeks but I think I am going to get the TS-E 90mm and still haven't decided on the camera as of yet.

I watch three local Craiglists pretty regularly, and it

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Another way to look at it, even if I take a hit ...it still is much, much cheaper than if I would have rented the lenses!

That's why I never rent, and I really don't see the point of doing so just to try out a lens (although something like renting a supertele for a trip, or an MP-E 65mm for a specific project, etc., makes a lot of sense).

I still think this is a theory for wealthy people and so I cannot take the same conclusion. I think renting sometimes is the best option you have. Else...just deal with the lenses you have. However I must also say that I never rented longer than a weekend.

This is why I love the Bill Me Later gig. I buy a lens use it for 5 1/2 months, if I find I use it a lot, I keep it. If I don't think it is worthwhile I sell it before the interest free period is up. Like now my 6 months is up on my 50L but I love it and it has replaced my 35L in function. So the 35 will go to cover most of the price of the 50 and all will be right in my universe.

You've got a point there Keith. Although my local shop doesn't offer such kind of payment. Plus I'm not making money with photography so it wouldn't be a good option for me. It's good to hear that you like the 50mmL that much though [Y]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lucia

When selling on Craigslist, I've
    noticed that if I set a low price, I get legitimate buyers right away
    (undoubtedly folks like Neuro who watch regularly and pounce when they
    see a good deal for something they want). If I set an average or
    slightly higher price, I don't get any legitimate buyers, just spammers
    and scammers.

Long-term, this has caused me to set lower prices for items I list,
    if I want to have a good chance of selling them. Ultimately, if I had
    the patience to sift through all the ridiculous lowball offers and
    tire-kickers, my lenses probably wouldn't lose so much of their value
    :-)

And that's exactly where you have to stand your ground. I have seen the same thing happening to myself a couple of times. It's a psychological thing. Most of the times I'm selling something, I have the replacement of it already in my mind and I rather deal fast. That's exactly where the people aim a: quick buying and selling. You get so much crap (fake bids, absurdly low bids etc etc) that you get annoyed by it. If one than decides to bid you at the minimum price that you had in mind before, you're more likely to pull the trigger directly.

Also when you leave the e-mail option open, people don't bid, but try to deal directly, which puts pressure on you. You don't want to wait too long, since the buyer might be looking else as well.

It's a hard market and I do not really like it. However it gives me more than any local store would give... However if you're on the other side (the buying party) you could take advantage of this [A] I've bought my girlfriend a 450D this summer for only 250Euro. (2nd hand at my local shop: 350Euro). It was as good as new, the owner had won it in a company competition. (he worked for Canon).

He didn't bother to put any photos online which didn't get attention to his sale and it was up for a long time. He was just a bad marketeer...

Anyway it's a hard market, but unfortunately it's the best you can get here...

If was really, really tough deciding to sell it.
    I've been debating for weeks but I think I am going to get the TS-E 90mm
    and still haven't decided on the camera as of yet.

Deciding what you're gonna buy later on is often easier than selling your stuff, isn't it? [] I'm curious though, what is your motivation/purpose for the 90mm tilt-shift? I don't know anyone who has this lens, so I'm not sure what to expect from it.

Anyway good luck deciding []

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman
    I'm curious though, what is your motivation/purpose for the 90mm tilt-shift? I don't know anyone who has this lens, so I'm not sure what to expect from it.

I'll admit to being curious about this as well! From what I've seen, a primary use for the longer TS-E lenses is product photography.

Yes, granted it

Don