Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lenses hold their value? I'm beginning to wonder!

Re: Lenses hold their value? I'm beginning to wonder!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

There are newer TS-E lenses but the only other I would possibly be interested in is much more expensive. Only thing I'm not sure of is doing the "modification" to the lens myself.

Denise

Modification? What do you mean, what modification?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Denise

Rick

From Bryan's review ...

"The Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Tilt-Shift Lens' tilt and shift movements are perpendicular to each other as shipped from the factory. Canon Service can modify TS-E lenses for parallel movements (many opt for this change). Or - at your own risk - if you are mechanically inclined/daring, you can easily make this change yourself. Place the lens on its front lens cap (objective end) on a non-marring surface. You will see 4 small screws on the rear-facing side of the square middle part of the lens - one on each corner. Using a good jeweler's screwdriver, remove each of these screws. They will be tight - do not strip them. Rotate the now-loose rear portion of the lens 90 degrees in a counter-clockwise direction. Ribbon wires inside the lens dictate this rotation direction. Of course, returning the lens to perpendicular motions requires the opposite rotation. Reinstall the 4 screws to complete the project. Shading (vignetting) occurs more easily in parallel converted lenses according to Canon."

Other sites on the web show how to do this and it sounds simple enough but it sounds likeyour given a one chance deal & your either going to end up doing it correctly or ...mess up aperfectly good lens.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

I'm guessing she means rotating the shift plane 90° so the tilt and shift axes are aligned rather than perpendicular to each other.

Here's a how-to:http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/modify_canon_tilt-shift.html

Looks pretty simple to me. It appears you'd just have to be cautious with the ribbon cable so it doesn't get pinched after rotating.
    - Trowski

Trowski and Densie

Thanks, it looks like if you wanted to go back and forth with this setting the cable would be the weak link that would get stressed. That and dust control when you are doing it.

I might be misunderstanding the concept but I though if I did it, I would only move it once and leave it that way.

This is so you can use this lens to tilt and shift at the time correct?

Thats why if I buy new I but new really low. Like Ebay had the 5% bing cashback, that was a good time to buy. $1045 shipped 2nd day air for a usa market 24-70 2.8. I know I can turn around and sell it over a year later for the same price plus shipping no problem.

I

<div id="ctl00_ctl00_content_content_ctl00_fragment_121 6_ctl01_ctl00_PostForm__QuoteText"]

I might be misunderstanding the concept but I though if I did it, I would only move it once and leave it that way.

</div>

If I read this right, it changes the shift function to work in the same plane as the tilt function. Maybe I missunderstand but if you leave it like it is, you could shift sideways and tilt up and down? With the change you tilt and shift up and down (or in the same relation to each other)

I find this lens interesting, if I didn't have so many other toys that I have yet to master (or at least learn how to use at some level [:P] ) I might consider it.

This sort of depends on what you want to do with the lens at the time. I would personally find the lens more useful in the modified position since I most often shift my lens up and down while wanting a huge DoF. I have the new TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II that has the ability to rotate the tilt and shift planes independently. I love it for landscape so far, but I need more experience with it, since I've only owned it for about a month!

Well, it's so you can shift in the same direction that you tilt. Maybe this is what you meant, but I wasn't sure. Like I said, I would consider this the most useful, since I can correct for vertical distortions and then adjust my DoF using the tilt.

The same website I mentioned before has a page on how to use a tilt-shift lens with some interesting animations:http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/using_tilt.html.
    - Trowski