Thread: B&W Filters

B&W Filters

I just bought a 70-200mm F2.8L II, and thought I would get this filter:

B+W 77mm XS-Pro Digital Ultraviolet (UV) Multi-Resistant (MRC) Coated 010M Glass Filter

www.bhphotovideo.com/.../B_W_66_1058460_77mm_XS_Pro_Digital_Ultraviolet.htm l

I just wondered what everyones thoughts were on what the best filter would be.

Rick

Re: B&W Filters

Rick,

Since digital cameras have uv filter built in, you may want to consider a clear version of that filter:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/636070-REG/B_W_66_1056703_72mm_XS_Pro_Pro_Clear.html

I realize that when it comes to photo gear the price is not your top priority, but you can actually save a few bucks here.

Good luck,

Pete

No need for XS-Pro, the standard F-Pro mount is fine, unless you plan to stack >1 other filter onto it.

-John

Would the XS filter be better on the 24mm for landscapes? That seems to be what they were aiming for.

Rick,

I second John, unless you are going to stack filters there is no need for a thinner filter even on 24mm. On a 70-200mm a standard F-Pro filter is fine and I think you could even add one filter with out any issues.

Pete is correct that you do not need UV filters on DSLR's, but they do no harm either. I always go with B&W UV's, mostly out of habit from film days, or superstition. If you use Pete's advice, just beware that he accidentally gave you a link to a 72mm filter. For the UV F-Pro version click through Bryan's review here:

[url="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/B-W-UV-Filter.aspx]http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/B-W-UV-Filter.aspx[/url]

The red buy at the top of the page will take you to B&amp;H and by going though his review, it helps Bryan maintain this site. For what is worth, every lens I have starts with a B&amp;W UV MRC version filter right out of the box. In addition, most<span style="background-color: #ff0000;"] <span style="color: #ff0000;"]L lenses require a filter to complete the waterproofing.

Chris

Agreed with Chris, mostly. At 24mm with a 24-xx zoom, F-Pro is fine. For a 24mm f/1.4, I

Thanks for all the input guys. Its all good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Agreed with Chris, mostly. At 24mm with a 24-xx zoom, F-Pro is fine. For a 24mm f/1.4, I'd probably use an XS-Pro (I also use an 82mm XS-Pro on my 16-35mm f/2.8L II). F-Pro is fine on my 35L.

On my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, I can stack a Slim CPL (5mm thick like the F-Pro) onto an F-Pro UV with no mechanical vignetting.

--John

John

I have been using the F-Pro's and I saw this filter and just the name ("B+W 77mm XS-Pro Digital Ultraviolet (UV) Multi-Resistant (MRC) Coated 010M Glass Filter" ) "Digital" and "XS" I didn't know what the deal was all about. I know that we can use clear instead of UV with digital, but my twisted way of thinking is that I might buy a 1v one of these days and play with film just for the fun of it.

I didn't realize it was a thin version, so what you have said may make sense for my 24mm. I will probably never use a CPL on the 70-200 because I bought it for just walking around with. My primes I would be more likely to use one on, which makes me think this. I have an F Pro on the 24mm now, and it doesn't vignette at all, however I use a CPL on it. I might go ahead and get this filter and try stacking the CPL and see if I do get vignetting on the 24mm. I always find it to be a pain switching the CPL and the main filter. So I think I will go ahead on order this filter, and put it on the 24mm and switch that filter to the new 70-200mm.

Chris

I now always enter B&amp;H through Bryan's website, for the reason you mentioned,

Thanks Guys

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    ...I might buy a 1v one of these days and play with film just for the fun of it.

Just throwing it out there but I've got a 1V in great condition that I'd consider selling- some scuff marks from a quick release plate and marred focus screen from letting a someone else use it (learned the hard way! At least they were nice enough to try to clean it! Why I don't know- probably because their yearbook editor had just shown them how that week?) but otherwise, like new.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/1537.EOS_2D00_1V_2D00_body.jpg[/img]

If I were to guess, I'd say somewhere in the ballpark of 3,000 cycles on the shutter.