Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best photo editing software

Re: Best photo editing software

Does anyone use these programs on a Mac or is the Windows version the better system?

I use and recommend Lightroom for its speed and ease of use.

Does anyone have an opinion on which platform is best with Photoshop and Lightroom....Mac or Windows? I have the option for either one as I have both a Mac and Windows based computer. Just wondering if anyone has a preference.

Thanks for all the recommendations thus far, I am probably going to get Lightroom as I like the photo management and mass editing features. There are several different Photoshop options and Im a bit confused as to which one to get???

Quote Originally Posted by donnman

Does anyone use these programs on a Mac or is the Windows version the better system?

I've been using this setup on my 2009 Macbook Pro with 4GB DDR3 RAM and never had any lag using Lightroom. I do lots of nondestructive multiple smart object layering in photoshop so it hangs sometimes for a bit when saving (mostly because these files sometimes get to be about 600mb before I shrink them). But apart from that it's been very smooth for me. No noticeable problems []

*EDIT*

<meta charset="utf-8" />
    There are several different Photoshop options and Im a bit confused as to which one to get???

I use Photoshop CS4. Photoshop Elements I've only worked with real old versions so I can't really say anything about the newer ones that are out there [*-)]

<div id="ctl00_ctl00_content_content_ctl00_fragment_121 6_ctl01_ctl00_PostForm__QuoteText"]

Does anyone have an opinion on which platform is best with Photoshop and Lightroom....Mac or Windows? I have the option for either one as I have both a Mac and Windows based computer. Just wondering if anyone has a preference.

Thanks for all the recommendations thus far, I am probably going to get Lightroom as I like the photo management and mass editing features. There are several different Photoshop options and Im a bit confused as to which one to get???
    </div>

Mac vs Windows is a loaded question. But both will perform well with either of these programs. Personally I would rather use my Mac at home for working photo's and Windows at work (since most of my office software is Windows based. That one is personal prefrence.

Photoshop options? You mean Elements vs full version of Photoshop? Or Photoshop Extended?

You know you can download a free trial of photoshop at adobe's website.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

<div id="ctl00_ctl00_content_content_ctl00_fragment_121 6_ctl01_ctl00_PostForm__QuoteText"]

</div>

Mac vs Windows is a loaded question. But both will perform well with either of these programs. Personally I would rather use my Mac at home for working photo's and Windows at work (since most of my office software is Windows based. That one is personal prefrence.

I agree and I think that they will perform more likely than different on either system. If you can choose between windows or mac...I'd believe that the main-question is: which do you prefer to work on? Which one is faster? But also, which one is more logical to use? Anyway either one will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    You know you can download a free trial of photoshop at adobe's website.

Yep, try all the demo's you can and see what you like. I prefer Lightroom 3 with Photoshop CS5. However CS4, Photoshop Elements etc etc will also work. As a matter of fact I have never used half the programs of CS5, so in theory it doesn't make sense why I use the entire package. I probably could do with Photoshop Elements alone as wel...

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman
    I prefer Lightroom 3 with Photoshop CS5. However CS4, Photoshop Elements etc etc will also work.

CS4 might work, depending on the camera you have. New versions of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin are not backwards-compatible with previous versions of CS. ACR 6 (current) works only with CS5 and Elements 8/9, not CS4 or Elements 7. So for example, if you have a 60D, you'll need CS5. The same idea holds true for LR, which also uses the ACR plugin. This is one area in which Mac OS X has an advantage - RAW file support is native to the OS, and updates are free (Apple provides them for the current OS as well as the immediately-previous OS, e.g. the latest updates work with OS 10.5 or 10.6, and those apply to Aperture, iPhoto, and the Finder for preview images).