Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is too much?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How much is too much?

I've been struggling with this thought in my head the more and more I get into photography. How much post processing is too much? Don't get me wrong, I love to post process, but at some point doesn't it start to make the photo untrue? For example, HDR Tone Mapping makes the images look amazing when done right, but then doesn't the photo start to show a scene that does not necessarily exist?Increasing saturation and contrast is common too, but again doesn't the same thing happen?

Re: How much is too much?

it's subjective and really depends on the photograph. what's your vision? what's the intent of the photograph? is your intent to reflect the real world, or is it purely an art piece?

i will say that a good photographer should be able to, generally speaking, approach their subject, envision the final product, nail the shot, and have it fit that vision with very little post processing (i don't want to exclude it completely, because most of us shoot in RAW).

post processing is like table salt.. some days you create something great, but it just needs that extra something.. and on occasion, you create something that isn't very great, but use salt as a means of making it palatable.. other times, you know full well that you're creating something that's gonna require it later, and that your vision won't be possible without it (HDR). however, if you overload on salt all the time.. it simply isn't healthy. that's how i look at post processing.

that's one of the reasons i love lightroom so much.. it provides me with the RAW essentials, with some great tools that really help me make the most of my product, while still forcing me to shoot for awesome source material to start with. regular photoshop gives unlimited freedom with your photos, but is so time consuming in comparison that i really only use it for photos that really require it for my vision to be complete.

Cannot agree with you more!

Being a newbie, I am not familiar with all kinds of processing but that is not the reason why I have some conservative feeling towards it. I think processing is acceptable, just like we all accept the dark room work. But there should be some border line between 'enough' and 'too much'. Otherwise, some good IT engineers with good sense of composition may replace the PHOTOGRAPHERS very soon (no offense to IT engineers :-))

well.. you can have the greatest IT engineer in the world, but they will never replace the artist. need evidence? look at pixar.. they have the greatest IT engineers in the CG business, but its their *artists* that set their work apart from the competition. that's why movies from other companies (like "the polar express") feel so stiff despite being technologically brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by atticusdsf

well.. you can have the greatest IT engineer in the world, but they will never replace the artist. need evidence? look at pixar.. they have the greatest IT engineers in the CG business, but its their *artists* that set their work apart from the competition. that's why movies from other companies (like "the polar express") feel so stiff despite being technologically brilliant.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Again, cannot agree with you more :-)

You're right. Nobody can repalce the artist. But what I said was PHOTOGRAPHERS. I judge by my own experience. I felt so discouraged looking at the so beautiful photos of one of my online friends. Indeed, I thought about giving it all up. But one day, when I met him in real life, I discovered that he was a real master in post-processing. Leaving composition aside, his before-processing pictures were rarely better than mine. I feel encouraged again.

You see, a "potential" photographer (not artist, of course) could have been lost if it were not for that discovery :-)

I'll sign on with whatever looks good.

It depends on the image. It depends on the intent. it depends on the display medium. It depends on the viewer.....

Like any art, there are technical aspects, and there are subjective judgment calls. If you don't have a handle on both, you'll probably make a mess of it, but eventually learn to do it better.

I have seen many good photos, taken by good photographers damaged by too much post-processing. I keep it simple: Set the White Balance (which helps the colors), and up the sharpness, but carefully. I don't want to see "amped up" edges, or pixelated whiskers on the cat. I trust the camera/lens to do a fine job otherwise. I think people can also be fooled by what they see on their screen, as opposed to how the photo prints. How many of us have a correct screen setup? And how many of us have a printer that matches the screen?

I get my photos printed, compare to what I see on the screen, and adjust for the differences. I've noticed that my photos on the computer screen are brighter than the prints. Probably because the screen is backlit, and the print is not. I've also noticed that the prints have better contrast and sharpness than my screen. So I don't mess with contrast, and I take it easy on the sharpness.

Of corse, this is all subjective.And some people never make prints, and only look at photos on a computer monitor. So if you print ones that only look ideal on the screen, then you may never like the prints, and vice-versa...

Great question with no real answer. If it looks spectacular when your finished, then it wasn't too much.

Some days, I just need "Autolevels" and I'm done. Some days, I'm spending two hours removing a spider web tattoo from the bride's neck one cloned little spot at a time.

Atticusdsf: You make some very good points. It is like salt, too much and it ruins the photo. I shoot in RAW too so I have nothing against uping the saturation, sharpness, and the contrast just a bit, but its going past that that I start to feel uneasy. I guess I just want people to state clearly when they post process because not everybody does. This way I won't be driving myself crazy trying to astrive to their same skill without noticing that all I am missing is some post processing.

Bono: While I agree with your point to some extent, Atticus does make a good rebuke.

Steve: I rarely print my photos though, but I do run into that issue when I print. BTW, just how do we know if our screen is setup correctly.

All: Thanks for all the comments; it really does help the battle waging in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent

Atticusdsf: You make some very good points. It is like salt, too much and it ruins the photo. I shoot in RAW too so I have nothing against uping the saturation, sharpness, and the contrast just a bit, but its going past that that I start to feel uneasy. I guess I just want people to state clearly when they post process because not everybody does. This way I won't be driving myself crazy trying to astrive to their same skill without noticing that all I am missing is some post processing.

Bono: While I agree with your point to some extent, Atticus does make a good rebuke.

Steve: I rarely print my photos though, but I do run into that issue when I print. BTW, just how do we know if our screen is setup correctly.

All: Thanks for all the comments; it really does help the battle waging in my head.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    Do a search for monitor calibration spider, and printer profiles. And you can see how in-depth it gets. I just use "Quick Gamma", and get great results comparing prints to the screen (other than the backlit issue I described earlier).

http://www.quickgamma.de/indexen.html

How do you know if your screen is set up correctly? I'd say if your prints look like what is displayed on the screen, you're good. But photos might look great on your monitor, and not someone else's.