Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: should we start a 24-70 f/2.8 L *IS* petition?

should we start a 24-70 f/2.8 L *IS* petition?

i'm sure this has to be in the back of the minds of the powers that be.. but seriously. i want this frickin' lens. i absolutely adore my 24-105, and IS is very important to the work i do.. but there are some times that f/4 simply doesn't cut it. i mean, really.. if this lens existed, wouldn't that pretty much complete canon's lineup? i couldn't think of anything else i could possibly want.. unless they magically find a way to create a zoom with a wider aperture than f/2.8..

Re: should we start a 24-70 f/2.8 L *IS* petition?

What we should really do is start demanding a 17-70 f/2.8 L IS USM.

If not 17 then 18 at the wide end and if not 70 then something close at the long end. But it seems Canon would give away 1Ds mark III's for free before they come with such a lens [:P]

yeeah. i was kinda speaking within the scope of reality.. haha

just as there are four variations of the 70-200 (two with IS, two without), it seems it would be very easy to drop an IS motor in that lens, repackage it, and call it a day. i'd buy one tomorrow if that were the case.

I'd prefer a 24-105 2.8L IS.

Not one upping, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I'd prefer a 24-105 2.8L IS.

Not one upping, just saying.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Aside from it being the size of a garbage can it would weigh a ton.Don't get me wrong, in theory its a nice idea--in reality completely infeasible.

As for a 24-70IS, it's not a stretch by any means and is very likely IMO though I don't think an online petition will get you one

What I really want is an inexpensive high quality lightweight 17-400mm f/1 IS zoom. That's all.

No USM? I don't buy it then [:P]

Would be nice. I'd buy one for sure.

I'd also like to see a 35 1.2L II, I'd pay $1900 for that tomorrow.

That's the primary reason I've waited to buy one, which in turn is the primary reason I've waited to add a new body (are you listening, Canon?). I know the numbers aren't exactly the same after you account for the crop factor, but on 1.6x body, the EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS is an exceptional lens. I'd love to have something similar to use with FF or 1.3. The 24-70, especially with its close-focusing ability, would rock with IS.

that's my big problem.. i adored my 17-55mm, but recently upgraded to the 5dmkII.. i bought the kit, and the 24-105mm has been great-- a super workhorse lens-- but i still can't do everything that i could do with my 17-55mm