Thread: Wisconsin Blizzard 2011

Wisconsin Blizzard 2011

As many of you know, the snowstorm I experienced in my area a few days ago in SE Wisconsin was pretty bad! With over 26" inches of snow at a rate of 2" - 3" per hour and 50 mph winds, it amounted to snow drifts of over 6 feet everywhere! I couldn't get out of my house because the drifts were up against the doors. My neighbors furnace shut down because his outside furnace pipe was clogged with snow ...thank goodness for the shut down or they would have not made it! The Gov. declared a state of emergency and civil danger warning for my city. Even alot of rescue personnel and sheriff deputies were called off duty because they were just getting stuck ...Nine squad cars and 3 fire trucks had to be rescued while they were trying to respond to calls ...even the city snowplow got stuck at the end of my street! All of this led up to the National Guard being called in. I've lived here my entire life and never experienced a storm quite this bad!

To add to it all, it is currently snowing pretty good right now and we are suppose to get another 6 or so inches today! I literally don't know where I am going to shovel it to!

Here's a link to my photos after cleanup began! I mostly stuck to my neighborhood. With this being sohard on all of us, it just didn't seem right to go around town taking pictures of everyone's devastation!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18085870@N07/sets/72157625863727895/with/5421355465/

Here's a photo of my daughter threatening me and my camera with bodilyharm if I take one more photo!

Re: Wisconsin Blizzard 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Here's a photo of my daughter threatening me and my camera with bodilyharm if I take one more photo!

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I like this shot. She is probably wondering why she is doing all the work and you are playing around with your camera. LOL[]
    Mark

I am also in SE WI. Here are some shots of my son trying to shovel through the 5' tall snow drift against the front of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

He doesn't like it when I take his picture either!

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1024x1024/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4670.IMG_5F00_0973.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1024x1024/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0777.IMG_5F00_0979.jpg[/img]

I also managed to get in on the action being just south of Denise and thekingb. I am about half way between Chicago proper and Milwaukee and only a couple of blocks from Lake Michigan. The official tally for Chicago was only 20" but that was out at O'Hare airport, and I am sure we got a few inches more here from lake effect powder. I enjoyed gettting two days off from classes. Actually , I skipped my Tuesday class to get home ahead of the snow, so I had the whole week off of classes! Anyway, here are my pictures from late in the day Wednesday.

My car suprisingly was in the right place to have absolutely no snow on it!

My friend wasn't quite so lucky. You can see 10" of his trunk on the left and his antenna on the right.

Because of all the winds the houses had little if any snow on them!

This is Lake Michigan. The "shore" is 15 feet behind where I am standing. I couldn't see water anywhere. I was tempted to walk out farther, but the ice got kinda thin.