Thread: Help. Guessing this is a Contact Problem?

Help. Guessing this is a Contact Problem?

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a 50 1.8 II since it was on sale with a freebie lowepro lens case a little while ago. Anyway. I come home today to find the package on my front step.

With glee I hastily open the packaging and remove my new toy from its case.

Once I have attached the lens to my 50D I see that the aperture value is 00. As though I never attached a lens at all. No error codes no autofocus. Nada.

I pulled the lens off, pulled the batteries. Pulled the grip re-attached, wiped off the leads with a cloth... All to no avail.

Luckily my wife has a rebel around and I swapped cameras to find that the 50 1.8 works PERFECTLY while on her camera? I am stunned.

I am imagining this is a contact problem with the leads but, I switch lenses and all the other lens combos work just fine.

Any ideas?

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Re: Help. Guessing this is a Contact Problem?

I
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Re: Help. Guessing this is a Contact Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    Does it happen with any of your other lenses? That might help narrow the problem down to either the lens or the body

Hasn't ever happened with any of the other lenses... but the peculiar thing is the new lens works fine on my wifes camera, which is a rebel. I am thinking I may just RMA the lens and have them replace it.

Although I will wait til the end of the day today to see if someone here has had great success with this one way or the other.

Its too bad though. [:@]

5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro