Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon Rebel T3i / EOS 600D announced and previewed

Canon Rebel T3i / EOS 600D announced and previewed

I feel like the news-man today, probably because most of you are in the US, and still sleeping ;-)

The 600D was announced too, and it has 18 MP, nope nobody's disappointed...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11020720canoneos600d.asp

Re: Canon Rebel T3i / EOS 600D announced and previewed

Aha, "...the EOS 600D sits at the top of Canon

Anoterh aha, regarding manual focus the 600D is listed as having "Manual Focus: Selected on lens, default in Live View Mode"...

This is sweet news... and my 1000D has a big brother now...
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Yup, some really interesting news. Now I

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500
    regarding manual focus the 600D is listed as having "Manual Focus: Selected on lens, default in Live View Mode"...

I was wondering where you saw this...I found the statement on Canon UK's specs. The statement implies that AF doesn't work in Live View, or works differently. According to the Canon USA specs, Live View AF is the same as previous cameras - Live AF (contrast detect), Face AF, and Quick AF (phase AF), with only the first two being available when shooting video. Actually, when I look back at the Canon UK specs for the 500D and 550D, they have that same statement, "Manual Focus: Selected on lens, default in Live View Mode," so I guess it's not an aha after all...

On another note, "automatic" is getting even more so...

"The Rebel T3i's automatic mode with new Scene Intelligent Auto technology, re-branding the green mode dial setting with a boxed "A+" design. This new camera setting now takes Picture Style into account as part of the camera's "Auto" setting. By analyzing faces, colors, brightness, movement, and contrast, the camera will dynamically adjust picture-style parameters to match the subject and control vividness. Previously, the automatic setting on a Rebel DSLR adjusted exposure, focus, white balance, and Auto Lighting Optimizer, however on the new Rebel T3i, Picture Style Auto is also taken into account as part of the new Scene Intelligent Auto technology. By incorporating this fifth parameter the camera more intelligently analyzes scenes and adjusts settings based on the subject matter being shot. So when the camera is photographing a face it will reproduce more natural skin tones or blue skies for more vivid landscapes, a flashy red car for more saturated color and evening sunsets for more expressive images."

Now, the camera now only determines the proper exposure, it even knows what you're shooting, and sets the picture style accordingly. Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Now, the camera now only determines the proper exposure, it even knows what you're shooting, and sets the picture style accordingly. Hmmmm...

Wouldn't that be what they call a "point and shoot"

Shoot, I can't even guess what exposure and picture style I need every time. Maybe I need one of these.

I don

The price difference between what I could sell my T1i for, and pick up a T3i for, would likely be similar to the price of a ST-E2 speedlite transmitter alone, but I'd get some extras as well:

Some extra resolution
    A video mode with manual controls (The T1i is near useless for video since ISO, shutter, and aperture are all automatic.)
    1080p at normal frame rates,
    Cropped video mode, (good for videos of shy critters I suppose)
    A larger burst buffer
    Support for SDXC cards
    The ability to control the new speedlite's video light function
    A new screen
    The new metering options
    A new warranty

If I were looking for a flash transmitter, getting all this extra stuff, essentially free, would be nice. I'd say it's a reasonable upgrade from a T1i, and a decent upgrade from an XSi.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I'm glad it has the reticulating LCD, though I was hoping for higher resolution. Now I need to find out if it supports full manual video controls (I doubt it).