Thread: E-session: The Other Photographer =)

E-session: The Other Photographer =)

I was invited by a friend of mine over the weekend to shoot with him for an engagement session of his friends (the couple). He informed me that we were going to shoot with the organizing photographer (who are by the way not really pro yet). I thought this was a nice opportunity to test my 85mm f/1.8 I just recently acquired (thanks to my big brother). To cut the long story short, I felt awkward shooting with the organizing photographer but nonetheless I stayed away from their line of sight. So, it boils down that all my shots were like stolen/candid shots and I would like to get your thoughts on them.

By the way, shots taken were somewhere between 10:30 - 12:00 noon on a somewhat partly cloudy skies.

f/2.8, 1/800, ISO 400 (I know I messed up with the ISO thus the blown highlights)

f/2.8, 1/500, ISO 400

f/2.8, 1/400, ISO 100

f/2.8, 1/250, ISO 100 (I was in the trees thus the green and pink soft highlights on the foreground)

f/4.0, 1/320, ISO 100 (Colors are sort of washed out)

Thank you in advance for viewing. Here's a link to the whole album.. not much but some of my best. Joedex & Alyne. Best viewed on black. []

Best regards.

Angelo
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

I saw that you never got feedback on this so I thought I would comment. I know it is hard to second shoot to get great shots, so spend that time trying to learn from the other photographer. Never the less you got some good shots. My favorite is the fourth. The OOF foreground is a nice romantic touch and the windows are a good graphic element. Also, she has the best expression here. Shooting closer to sunrise/sunset would have afforded more interesting light, I think. ISO 400 should not in itself cause blown highlights, unless your shutter speed was too long. If your camera is metering for you and selecting at least one setting, then it may have been the dark background in two of your pictures that caused the camera to over-expose the shots. Until you hit your max shutter speed and it flashes (4000 or 8000), your ISO is not necessarily too high.

Hi Stephen! Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words. How I wish we could have shot these late in the afternoon but I had no control over the time thus had to do what I can. I believe I used ISO 100 on all photos as these were taken nearing high noon. I guess the blown out highlights were due to the large aperture with so much light that I had to rely on shutter speed to control exposure. Hmmm.. I'm really not sure what kind of metering I used here -- probably center-weighted.

Again, thank you.

Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Probert View Post
    I saw that you never got feedback on this so I thought I would comment. I know it is hard to second shoot to get great shots, so spend that time trying to learn from the other photographer. Never the less you got some good shots. My favorite is the fourth. The OOF foreground is a nice romantic touch and the windows are a good graphic element. Also, she has the best expression here. Shooting closer to sunrise/sunset would have afforded more interesting light, I think. ISO 400 should not in itself cause blown highlights, unless your shutter speed was too long. If your camera is metering for you and selecting at least one setting, then it may have been the dark background in two of your pictures that caused the camera to over-expose the shots. Until you hit your max shutter speed and it flashes (4000 or 8000), your ISO is not necessarily too high.
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com