Thread: Help me decide...

Help me decide...

Having read the very well written articles and reviews on both lenses, I am now in a quandary: Do I buy the 85 1.2 or the 50 1.2! I have a 30D currently, but am moving over to the 5D II for the full frame, and need just such a lens for everyday use, as well as portrait shots, etc. I have the 24-105 which I am very happy with, and would like to stick to L series lenses. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Re: Help me decide...

I've never had either, but I do have the 50 1.4 and the 85 1.8. On a full frame camera, I prefer the 85mm focal length for portraits. More focal length means (in general) more pleasing background at a given dof. It also means it is easier to choose/exclude backgrounds.

Background issues aside, I find 50mm a little wide for portraits. That's just me. And the 85mm seems to have better iq at wide apertures (I'm basing this on iso crops, not experience).

Hi Tim,

If you have only one lens 24-105L I suggest to take another zoom. The 20-200 f 2.8 L ISis a super lens for portrait (Bryan favorite, you can read his rewiev on this lens). This lens is much more versatile than the 85 1.2, and incombination with your 24-105L+ the full frame of the 5D II will cover a very wide range of use.

In my opinion the 50 1.2 is not a great lens for portrait on a full frame body, whilethe 85 1.2 is a great lens, but focus very slowly + it has a focal lenght already covered by your zoom, so if you do not need to shoot in extreme light conditions, usingf 1.2often,the f2.8 IS will make you happy.

Ciao

I agree, I would vote for the 70-200mm. I have the f/4 and it does stunning portraits - very sharp, good color, and excellent brokeh. And gives you more versatility. Though I guess the 85mm would work better if you wanted something a little less conspicious, or not as heavy... Just my 2 cents.

That is kinda what I had in mind...looks like the 85 will be the one. I am not so worried that it focuses slowly, just that the IQ is top, and that on both the 30D and 5D it will be a good fit....

Thanks all for responding.

T

I might be too late, but you might look at ken rockwell's review of the 85mm 1.8 before you buy the 1.2. Getting a 85mm 1.8 *and* a 70-200 2.8 IS wouldn't cost too much more than getting an 85 1.2 alone.

That said, you have to take what he says with a grain of salt. (He says the 1.2 is only good for special purpose, like astronomy. In the first place, I think plenty of people like to go faster than f/2 for portraits when they can. And secondly, I don't know any astrophotographers who shoot much faster than f/4 due to chromatic aberration... I'd be surprised if the 85 1.2 is immune to this wide open.)