Thread: How much can it survive?

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

How much can it survive?

So I just moved down to Florida to work in the everglades, and its amazing here for bird photography. Most of my job involves working from air boats, and of course I always want to bring my camera with me, since I see so many cool things throughout the course of the day. My concern is that the air boats vibrate a lot, plus occasionally bounce a bit going over things, so Im worried about it doing bad things to my camera (50d and 100-400mm). I keep it in a padded case, but wonder if that is enough protection for it, or if I should just leave it home during work.

What should I do and is it something I really should be concerned with.

here are a few photos I have captured in my first week here.

f5.6, 260mm, 1000th sec. Mixed flock of wading birds (4 species)

[img]/general_discussion1/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/5428.IMG_5F00_2984.jpg[/img]

f5.6, 400mm, 1/250sec Snowy Egret

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/4478.IMG_5F00_2949.jpg[/img]

f6.3, 400mm, 1/200sec. Purple Gallinule

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/0x550/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/0636.IMG_5F00_3139.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the input

Nick

Re: How much can it survive?

You have a dream job for every amature bird photographer. Bring the camera!

yeah that is a major perk of being a wildlife biologist. I get to see a lot of wildlife most don

If you really want to take care of your gear I
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I

Just thought. If someone else drives the fan boat then you can keep the camera in your hands and it

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McSweeney
    Can't see a pelikan on a bike but would fit on a boat... But would they damp the vibration?

I think so. They use high quality, high density foam in those boxes. Provided you don't pull too much out when making space for your gear then I think you'll be right. I'd rather have the pull out foam than the padded dividers in a pelican case.

Put it this way, I use Pelican cases for my remote electronic blasting box. These essentially have a computer in them the allows me to assign a delay to up to 2400 detonators to millisecond precision. We often blast anywhere up to 40 tonnes of ANFO and I usually tie the blast box up to the wall within 200m of the blast. That's a serious concussion - if you were standing at the box when it fired, you wouldn't be for very long. I very rarely have issues with components vibrating loose, they're very well protected in those cases.

So yeah, I reckon you'd be ok.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Yeah Im thinking buying a pelican case will probably be what I do, I just didn