Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which to PreOrder the 500mm F4L II or the 600mm F4L II, bird and wildlife advice wanted

Re: Which to PreOrder the 500mm F4L II or the 600mm F4L II, bird and wildlife advice wanted

Rick just had another thought, since we are discussing the ultimate long lens kit for you there is another possibility.

Sell the 300 and the 500 and a couple of bodies and maybe your soul and;

Buy the 400mm 2.8 and the 600mm, then you got wildlife covered when it gets dark as well.

Just a thought.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Re: Which to PreOrder the 500mm F4L II or the 600mm F4L II, bird and wildlife advice wanted

Ok guys here is why I am thinking the 2 ex III on the 500mm is going to be very good.

The first picture of a graph, I took of the EF Lens Work III. This is the 500mm F4L Original with the 1.4 extender ( I find the IQ of this combination to be acceptable)

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/250x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-47-09/IMG_5F00_9608.JPG[/img]

This is the new 500mm F4 L II with the 2x Extender

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-47-09/ef500lisiiu_5F00_extender2xiii_5F00_mtf.gif[/img]

And actually the 600mm with the 2ex (1200mm) looks better than the 500mm 1.4 as well.

So to me, we might be comparing a lens that can go to 1000mm with a respectable image to one that can go to 1200mm. One of those might be enough focal length for some birders [:P]

Of course maybe the charts are lying to us.

So, it looks like the new 500mm II with the 2X III provides better image quality than the original 500mm with 1.4X II.

Very Nice!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Don't forget that you'll have to add another $1000 to buy the 1.4X III and the 2X III, since they're $500 each. But, I guess they could always be added later.

Rich

The 1.4x III showed up from B&H yesterday, despite the blizzard conditions. But this means I will still have to get a 2x, I always thought the 2x II I have was a waste of money.

Gees I with I had the "I think I have too much reach" problem....

My thoughts are that the extra reach will allow you to photograph wildlife from further away, limiting your disturbance on them enabling you to capture them in the most natural behaviour possible.

BUT if the bulk of the lens won
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Don't forget that you'll have to add another $1000 to buy the 1.4X III and the 2X III, since they're $500 each. But, I guess they could always be added later.

Rich

The 1.4x III showed up from B&H yesterday, despite the blizzard conditions. But this means I will still have to get a 2x, I always thought the 2x II I have was a waste of money.

In order to realize the full potential of the 500mm-1000mm or the 600mm-1200mm capability of the lens, then you'll probably want to get the 2X III eventually.

Below, are the MTF charts for the 500mm vs. 600mm with and without the extenders.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_500mm_f_4l_is_ii_usm

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_600mm_f_4l_is_ii_usm

The 500mm II by itself may be the best Canon MTF Chart that I've ever seen.

Ok.., so I'm starting to get really excited about these new lenses.[:P]

Rich

So, it looks like the new 500mm II with the 2X III provides better image quality than the original 500mm with 1.4X II.

Very Nice!

not so hurry guys, though it sounds very exciting!, IQ is not everything, what about the Al Servo AF? and is the 500mmII+1.4X TCIII better than the old 600mm and the 800mm? since I don't know how to read the charts.

Basically, the higher and more horizontal the lines are (the closer to the top horizontal line 1), the better the image quality is.

According to the charts on the Canon website, the 500mm II plus 1.4X III looks to be as good as the original 600mm on it's own.

I would have to expect the AF to be just as good with the improved optics of the glass, not to mention the improved 4 stop (Mode 3) IS.

The 500mm II by itself may be the best Canon MTF Chart that I've ever seen.

Ok.., so I'm starting to get really excited about these new lenses.[img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

LOL...I was kind of passive about the new lens. Thinking I would wait to order one. Then I went and took a look at the charts and my whole perspective changed. Maybe its just good marketing from Canon and they don't pull a bait and switch on us. I spent all day yesterday reading everything I could find and pouring over the old charts. Any way I am hooked, they have me. Its just a matter of which one now.

btaylor

I think you sized up the problem very well. However both lenses will feel like your carrying a rocket launcher. I was glad at yellowstone this summer. I kept thinking every time I stopped the van and took out the 500mm, that I was sure glad I didn't get the longer and heavier 800mm. The 500mm is just a little bit shorter rocket launcher.

It seems like your decision isn't going to be made by differences in image quality between the new 500mm and 600mm, though it does look like the 500mm does hold a slight edge based on the MTF chart (and I thought the new 300mm f/2.8 had an awesome MTF chart... ok, it still does, can't wait til I get mine).

I think you need to look at some of the shots in your photo library taken with the 500mm and ask yourself if 600mm would have been too long or if you would have preferred to have more reach?

It looks like the 1.4x and 2x III will be very usable on either lens. I just got it them both last week and have yet to take anything other than test shots with them and my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II. I was impressed with the test shots. The 1.4x was awesome, even wide open at f/4. The 2x was very nice at f/5.6, but of course stopping down to f/8 helped. I never owned the 2x II so I have no comparison, but I'm happy with my purchase. I mostly bought them with the thinking that they'll eventually be paired up with a 300mm f/2.8 II.

How was traveling with the 500mm? You mentioned going to Yellowstone with the lens. Part of the reason I was looking at the 300mm f/2.8 is that I thought paired with a 7D and maybe a 1.4x (300mm * 1.4 * 1.6 = 672mm) it would be perfect for traveling and hiking, grabbing wildlife shots when I got a chance while 300mm might actually still be useful for some far-off landscapes.
    - Trowski