Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Which to PreOrder the 500mm F4L II or the 600mm F4L II, bird and wildlife advice wanted

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    B&H hasn’t listed the lenses on pre-order yet, so I do not yet believe.
    I have just lost faith......

I am now going to wait and see how the 1D X Full Frame shakes out, and how the 2X III ISO’s look before I order one.
    It was due in June wasn't it along with the 24-70 ii? MTF on Bryan's review looks very nice with 2x TC on it. Only question I have about that is the difference in the black and blue lines. I thought the black was wide open and the blue shows stopped down to f8. With the 2x on it shouldn't they be the same or does the stopped down line represent another aperture when minimum aperture is f8?

If I do take the plunge will compare it to 300 with the TCs early on and share the results. Have just been forced for too long to adapt to working around the 500 & 600 mm focal lengths that it is now an ingrained thing. The 300 with the 2x does have nice reach...

jrw; If I remember correctly it was originally due in May or June of last year. Canon announced these lenses in August of 2010.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/P...ouncement.aspx

Suppose I should have used more words to be clear. I was referring to the latest expectation for when the 1Dx would be shipping, not the original lie.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Suppose I should have used more words to be clear. I was referring to the latest expectation for when the 1Dx would be shipping, not the original lie.
    The last prediction by Canon was April / May if I remember correctly. The date has changed several times over the last year. It seems that Canon can predict the release of their own lenses almost as accurately as CR can predict a lens announcement.

I wonder how many people who Pre-Ordered over a year ago will get their new 500mm lens for the $9500 +/- price that was originally posted for Pre-Order.

Your question about the Black and Blue line could be a puzzling one, if I didn't own Canon's book "EF Lens Work III". On the MTF chart for the 2x II with the original 500mm L (not the II version) the heavy blue line is represented as F/16.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The last prediction by Canon was April / May if I remember correctly. The date has changed several times over the last year. It seems that Canon can predict the release of their own lenses almost as accurately as CR can predict a lens announcement.
    At this point, I think CR actually has a better track record.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    At this point, I think CR actually has a better track record.
    I would have to see a side by side comparison;

Here are a few points I know for sure;
    Canon will announce a new lens, and can say that some time in the future they will deliver it.
    CR can predict Canon will announce a lens, and can say that it will happen some time in the future.
    Neither can give you a specific date.
    Canon can announce a lens, that now appears to be a complete fabrication. ie; the 200-400mm
    CR predicted the release of 1Ds IV, a camera that will never exist.

They seem to be neck to neck. But I will have to give Canon the edge with this one;
    If Nikon releases an upgrade to a competing body, the new matching body from Canon is immediately announced and ships within a month. (D800 vs 5D III)

So, the best source of accurate information about Canon's releases is not Canon, or CR, but Nikon?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    So, the best source of accurate information about Canon's releases is not Canon, or CR, but Nikon?
    Well it would appear they are the best indicator.

From what I understand both Canon and Nikon have been targeting the Olympics for their new Pro bodies and lenses. Canon would love to have another one of those White Lens dominated photographer shots they had in the 90's.

All of the lenses and bodies that have been delayed are originating in Japan, non-pro hardware comes from other countries like China. The fact that Canon is struggling highlights the problems they are still having in Japan.

From what friends tell me, power in parts of Japan is still problematic and many industries are being asked to cut their power consumption. Lens production is both a very power intensive and power critical process so this may be a big part of the problem.

Patience is a virtue.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss