Thread: decision time, advice please

decision time, advice please

i am currently mulling over a decision, and would appreciate any advice and insight from the knowlegable members. i am thinking of upgrading from my XSi, to either the 7D, 60d, or T3i.......its mostly a finacial deciosion on my part, but a little bit of my deciosion that will be made on feature sets. i am really happy with the picture quality from my XSi, but seeing as its 3 generations old now, i want to upgrade and am waiting for my tax return to finance part of my purchase, as well as selling my XSi.

currently, besides my 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, i have the 28-135, 70-200f/4L (non IS), and 100-400, and 1.4 teleconverter. i shoot mostly wildlife and aircraft, with the odd people thrown in, but i suck at portraits lol

i am seriously considering the 60D, but the T3i looks good as a baby 60D. i do prefer the 60D due to the size increase and weather sealing over the T3i. and what muddies the waters a little bit, is i would also like to add the 100L macro to my kit cause i dont have any fast glass, and would like the 70-300L as a possible replacement for my 70-200f/4L, even though that would give up the constant appature and it doesnt take my teleconverter, leaving the only lens it would work on my 100-400 without auto focus.

needless to say, i am starting to feel like a puppy chasing its tail, around and around i go, just making myself dizzy

what would you guys do?

jim

Re: decision time, advice please

Hi Jim,

Some random thoughts:

- All 3 use the same sensor, so IQ will be quite similar

- You mention weather sealing, but you

I think with your 70-200mm and even larger 100-400mm, you'll appreciate the size of the 60D over the T3i. The lenses will feel more balanced than you might be used to with the XSi.

The 7D is a little bigger, and benefits from a little better build with the magnesium body. The only thing the 60D really has over the 7D is the flippy screen, which may or may not be useful to you.

I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but if you could afford it, this would be an ideal plan IMHO:
    • Sell the XSi, buy the 7D or 60D
    • Sell your kit lens and 28-135mm and buy the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 or EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6
    • Sell your current EF 70-200mm f/4L and buy either the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS or the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS (and use your teleconverter with the latter).
    • Buy the 100mm f/2.8L macro

Those aren't in any particular order, and you certainly wouldn't have to do those all at the same time, but that kit would be a nice eventual goal to reach. You'd have a lot of flexibility with it.
    - Trowski

I would go with the 7D. If you don

thanks for your insights guys, i hope that the rebates that are maybe going to happen in the states, also happen up here in canada. currently, the cheapest a 60D is here in ontario is $1014 in toronto, versus $888 at B&H, and a 7D is $1569 in mississauga versus $1479 at B&H.

jim

Jim, why don't you look at a 50D?(refurbished or second hand probably) It would leave room for a general lens update. For example the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS... The 50D would be much better than your XSi and you'd like the improvements. (faster frame-rate, faster shutterlag etc.) The extra amount of money you'd need for a 60D or 7D wouldn't make up for the slight improvements over the 50D in my opinion. Plus the better glass in combination with the 50D would be better than the 7D/60D with lesser glass []

Just my thoughts,

Jan