Page 302 of 302 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 3974

Thread: Post your best current shots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Congrats on the new camera and great images!

Yes tinker, but I will say, I’ve always struggled with animals running straight at you. Side to side is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

70-300L does pretty good keeping up with a running dog, even towards the camera but:

Older cameras:

Change from one-shot AF to Servo AF. By the time the shutter releases, the dog will have moved. You need focus tracking.

Change the release from shutter to focus. This should be set for both the first shot, and subsequent shots. Shutter release takes the picture when you press the shutter, great for getting very specific timing, best if pre-focussed... not ideal for tracking a moving animal. Until this point, the camera has been tracking the moving dog, but not predicting it, and you'll get a blurry dog with a sharp tail. When you choose focus release, the camera will start predicting the motion, focussing slightly in front of the dog so that when the shutter opens the dog will be in focus. Note, this *can* cause a delay before the first shot of a burst is taken, as motion must be detected, predicted, and focus updated.

Newer cameras (basing on my R7's manual... no actual running dog experience with this camera yet):

Either, Enable Servo AF, or, change One-Shot release priority to Focus. As above. You don't seem to need to change Servo AF to focus release priority anymore. I guess that's because there's no delay with moving mirrors (or perhaps it's a limitation of the R7).

All cameras:

Your lens needs to move glass around much further to change focus near the camera, making it harder to maintain focus. Tracking when at 300mm will work far better than attempting to track at 70mm. Do not change zoom mid-burst. Focus tracking doesn't know what's going on if you're zooming out to keep the dog framed... the dog will maintain good framing longer at 300mm than at 70mm.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Aurora in Iowa

I decided to head out last night to see if the aurora forecast was going to amount to anything. It did. I'm amazed at the show we got in Iowa. I'm glad I made the drive to a state park and escaped some of the light pollution. I've been to this park several times before, but never for landscape photography, and I never imagined I'd be looking for compositions with the aurora overhead.

Was a good test for the R6 II for landscape photography. I'm not sure my 5DS will ever get used after dark.

EF 24mm F/1.4L II, 24mm, ISO 3200, f/2.8, 4s

EF 16-35mm F/4L IS, 21mm, ISO 3200, f/5, 25s

EF 16-35mm F/4L IS, 27mm, ISO 1600, f/5.6, 30s

[QUOTE=C4RBON;106178]I decided to head out last night to see if the aurora forecast was going to amount to anything. It did. I'm amazed at the show we got in Iowa. I'm glad I made the drive to a state park and escaped some of the light pollution. I've been to this park several times before, but never for landscape photography, and I never imagined I'd be looking for compositions with the aurora overhead.

Was a good test for the R6 II for landscape photography. I'm not sure my 5DS will ever get used after dark.

EF 24mm F/1.4L II, 24mm, ISO 3200, f/2.8, 4s

EF 16-35mm F/4L IS, 21mm, ISO 3200, f/5, 25s

EF 16-35mm F/4L IS, 27mm, ISO 1600, f/5.6, 30s
    [QUOTE]

It was quite the show from what I heard. Not sure how far north in Iowa you are from roughly Omaha (I'm there), but some great shots here.

Great shots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely shots, @C4RBON! I looked for an aurora over the weekend, but didn't see anything. Then again, I was at home and I live in a Bortle class 5 area.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Did somebody receive a new toy lately?
    Nah, I've had that for a bit. I was just playing around with the Roki 35mm. In one of those lightbulb moments (facepalm), I discovered that manual focusing is infinitely easier if your diopter setting is correct. Just a couple clicks and suddenly everything was clear. Amazing how that works.
    Mark - Flickr

I took this one last weekend at a fire lookout from the '30s in North Cascades Natl Park. It must have been a pretty arduous journey to haul all of the building material up the 4.5 mi and 3000 feet of elevation trail. It even had a wood burning stove. The last bit is a scramble to the top, and it is far from flat when you arrive. This shot was taken at 10mm, on a boulder, near the edge of a cliff.

Jonathan- those 15 fleeting seconds with that beautiful wolf now last forever. Talk about getting the shot!
    Tounis- what a crisp cold day that looks heavenly in the high country
    JRW- YES please!

TITLE: WANTS AND NEEDS
    The 2014 Cayman...definitely a need.

I made it out to the San Francisco Intl Car Show yesterday after doing a quick online search on how to get a keeper or two (photo unfortunately, not sports car....yet)
    ----------------------------
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Canon 17-40 f/4 L @ 32 mm
    0.02 sec (1/50)
    f/4.0
    ISO 2000
    B&W CPL rotated to minimize windshield reflections and to bring out that sinfully good red

Wants and Needs - SF International Auto Show by ernogy, on Flickr
    Last edited by erno james; 12-02-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Did not see a thread for Sunsets so i thought i would post a couple here from our recent holiday, have a few more but not got round to sorting them out yet, these are probably the better ones that i have gone through so far.

Shot hand held with the new 18-135 lens.