Page 327 of 397 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329337377 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 3966

Thread: Post your best current shots

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I am not sure time of day was the issue, as the light seems to be fairly horizontal, but maybe a different time of day would be better.
    Just to clarify my comment regarding lighting - Shooting during sunrise or sunset brings more color into the situation. Be it from the color in the sky or a nice gold sun light lighting up the scene... it just makes for magic by bringing in color and depth to the many facets of the scene. The other was heavy overcasts days (even rain); it gets rid of the bright white in the water and eliminates shadows (as you stated), but also seems to enhance the colors of the surrounding vegetation. Overcast days just makes getting the correct exposure much easier.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    The other was heavy overcasts days (even rain); it gets rid of the bright white in the water and eliminates shadows (as you stated), but also seems to enhance the colors of the surrounding vegetation. Overcast days just makes getting the correct exposure much easier.

Pat
    Clouds...just one big light modifier to a photographer. I first heard that regarding foliage photography. But it is so true. For great foliage, you need lots of sunny days, but some of the best foliage photographs are taken on cloudy days.

Thanks Brant and Pat for the tips and suggestions. Just what I was looking for. This was a last minute trek to the falls since my 3 year old was having a massive urge to see one. It is only 20 mins from my home and a short walk. I think early morning or evening would be ideal for shooting. We were there at 1pm, so the lighting was very harsh. I had to do massive PP to get rid of the glare that was present. Here is a full scene of the falls. The other picture my camera was under the falls to the left. They falls are kind of a U shape. My other two boys informed me that they really want to see it, so I guess I am going to get another opportunity. I'll take your suggestions and see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Thanks Brant and Pat for the tips and suggestions. Just what I was looking for. This was a last minute trek to the falls since my 3 year old was having a massive urge to see one. It is only 20 mins from my home and a short walk. I think early morning or evening would be ideal for shooting. We were there at 1pm, so the lighting was very harsh. I had to do massive PP to get rid of the glare that was present. Here is a full scene of the falls. The other picture my camera was under the falls to the left. They falls are kind of a U shape. My other two boys informed me that they really want to see it, so I guess I am going to get another opportunity. I'll take your suggestions and see what I can do.
    You may want to visit this one after a rain or after it has rained for a couple days. It will be a totally different falls; there will be an established flow of water after the falls; and my guess is the flow will be spread out over more of the ledge in a full sheet. Then I think it would be more interesting with a better foreground. Since it is close to home, that should be easy to see what it looks like in different situations. Also, if you are in an area where it can ice up, that may be interesting as well.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    You may want to visit this one after a rain or after it has rained for a couple days. It will be a totally different falls; there will be an established flow of water after the falls; and my guess is the flow will be spread out over more of the ledge in a full sheet. Then I think it would be more interesting with a better foreground. Since it is close to home, that should be easy to see what it looks like in different situations. Also, if you are in an area where it can ice up, that may be interesting as well.

Pat
    That's the tricky part...getting rain. Pretty dry here this time of year and I will look forward to spring for flows. This winter will definitely have some ice and I have heard it looks pretty interesting. Nebraska weather. I have viewed a couple photos from the spring time and the trees provide a good canopy for shade over the falls. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

One day I will have saved enough to come to America! It's one of the "Things i want to do in life", even though Europe has still many things to offer (actually went in Norway (Souht), Scotland (All), France(All) and Italy, obviously, where i live)!

But I need a good Travel Pal Guide!
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    We were there at 1pm, so the lighting was very harsh.
    ....cough....shows how good my eye is....

Quote Originally Posted by jamsus View Post
    One day I will have saved enough to come to America! It's one of the "Things i want to do in life", even though Europe has still many things to offer (actually went in Norway (Souht), Scotland (All), France(All) and Italy, obviously, where i live)!

But I need a good Travel Pal Guide!
    Let's see, if I was telling someone from Italy where they should go in the US---Northern Arizona/Southern Utah, Las Vegas, then LA up to San Fran (pick off Big Sur/San Simeon in between) , Columbia River Gorge outside of Portland, Mt St Helens, Teton/Yellowstone NPs, San Antonio, Blue Ridge Parkway, Cape Cod or Rhode Island, Acadia NP, Sanibel Island or FL Keys, Badlands NP, NYC, Niagara Falls (from the Canada side), somewhere in the Rocky Mountains (Colorado, Idaho, Montana, etc)......and, if you are in the area, you may as well check out Jonathan's area up around Banff in Canada...

I hope you can plan on a long trip.....

Jayson, For a first shot of falls that is not too shabby at all. If you keep doing these types of shots it can help to mix up the amount of blurring that you put in as having a little bit of turbulence can make the shot far more dynamic. It also helps keep all of your shots from looking the same. Pat already covered a good deal of material. Only other things to add are to not be afraid of having dark shadows in your images. It can help focus attention on the brighter parts and provides more visual interest. With small scenes don't hesitate to get in close and low with a shorter focal length to provide some interesting perspectives in your shots. Again, mix things up. It will help you keep things interesting for yourself and over time you will no doubt find the best ways to express what you want to in the way that works best for you.

Was recently away on a short holiday. Thought I would put up a few as it has been a while....

Name:  20141015_0012 (1).jpg
Views: 117
Size:  111.1 KB

Name:  20141015_0148.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  193.6 KB

Name:  20141014_0005.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  20141014_0041.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  71.4 KB

Moved to the mountains. This is off of my back porch.

Dave...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6770 web.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	2297  
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro