Page 360 of 397 FirstFirst ... 260310350358359360361362370 ... LastLast
Results 3,591 to 3,600 of 3961

Thread: Post your best current shots

St. Patrick's Day Guinness

I decided to have a beer last night in celebration of St. Patrick's Day (a Guinness, naturally). One thing led to another, and three hours later, I finally got to drink it.

Shot with my Canon 5DS with Canon EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6L IS USM. The shot is primarily illuminated from the top-left with a speedlight in a soft box. A second speedlight was used to illuminate the harp on the can, and provide some fill-light from the right side. The vertical line on the right side of the can is actually a reflection off of my door frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170318_045532_Canon EOS 5DS_3001-Edit.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	2631  

Quote Originally Posted by C4RBON View Post

I decided to have a beer last night in celebration of St. Patrick's Day (a Guinness, naturally). One thing led to another, and three hours later, I finally got to drink it.
    Your dedication to photography is impressive, if not misplaced .
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

STi Wheels

Since I had my softbox out for the Guinness picture, I figured I might as well keep using it. These are all lit with a single octagonal softbox with a 600EX-RT. I used my 50mm F1.8 STM (at f11 for these) and 5DS. The ones on the black background were taken outside at night to reduce unwanted reflections from walls.

The white background image was backlit. I took four pictures and combined them in Photoshop. Three of the pictures are different locations for the softbox (left, center, right). My softbox is just barely too small to cover the entire 18" wheel with a 50mm lens. The fourth image is lit from the front so I'd have a red "STi" logo.

I usually do landscape photography, but I live in Iowa, and I don't find cornfields to be very inspirational. I'm trying to find more things to do at home.

Hi everyone -

I've been away (again) on a spectacular photo trip... this time to Patagonia Chile. We went in search of pumas, and thanks to our excellent guides we saw them every day. Pumas are the same species as mountain lions and cougars (in fact puma is the proper name). It's a long way to go, to get to Torres del Paine park. From Dallas, it's an overnight flight to Santiago and then another 4-hour flight south to Punta Arenas. Then a half-day drive north to the park. The scenery is just ridiculous --- so utterly beautiful. Pumas are hard to see and love to hide in the bushes and behind rocks. Plus they sleep for 16 hours a day. So you spend a lot of time sitting and waiting for some action to occur. But when it does, you need to hustle. Most activity happens right before dusk, so you are shooting until your ISO gets to 6400 and beyond. I was amazed that the 1DX II was able to generate very decent images at that level. I carried a 500 mm f/4 lens and had the 1.4 TC attached most of the time (until it was too dark and I needed the f/4). My second body was a 5D IV with the new 100-400 lens. I was really impressed at how sharp that combo is --- I bought the lens just before the trip and it proved to be a very smart move. Of course I also kept a 24-70 lens handy for landscapes, and a 14 mm f/2.8 prime for Milky Way shots at night.

Here are some sample photos, with links to my website. I'll be adding more in the days ahead. Meanwhile if you have any questions about traveling there, please let me know. Thanks for viewing!

Female puma stretching. 1DX II, 500 mm f/4 plus 1.4 TC, ISO 5000

Puma silhouette at dusk

Grey fox, 5D IV with 100-400 mm lens, handheld

A quick landscape shot in between puma sightings. 5D IV with 24-70 lens and polarizer

Spectacular as always, Jonathan ! Thanks for sharing with us.

Beautiful stuff Jonathan!

I had little time for photography for a few months, better now.

We were in DC the weekend after the freeze, so that the latest-blooming of the cherry blossoms were still on the trees.

I like to think of this shot as a "classic" rather than a cliche!

DC Spring by dfwatsoneuro, on Flickr

New Bike

2017_04_11_18439_DPP_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

Dave

Capitol 2017

Capitol 2017 by dfwatsoneuro, on Flickr

Hard to resist the symbolism, and I think citizens affiliated with both parties might agree. The Senate in shadow, the House lost in the forest, but the dome and the statue of Freedom still shining.

Western South Dakota

My top three landscapes from a recent trip to Badlands National Park and the Black Hills region in South Dakota:

Jason