Page 59 of 397 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best current shots

Re: Post your best current shots

Sunset tonight (July 2), Vermilion Lakes, Banff.
    Canon 5D2, 24-70 mm f/2.8 lens, Singh-Ray 2-stop soft-edge ND grad plus Singh-Ray 5-stop solid ND
    20 seconds @ f/22, ISO 50

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1067.IMG_5F00_7057_2D00_2.JPG[/img]

We are in the depths of a cold winter here in Brisbane as the temperature plummets to a bone chilling 6 degrees Celcius(42 Fahrenheit) we are all rugging up and lighting the fires at night. Brr it's cold.

But out in the wilds, leaves have changed colour and fallen off and deserted the deciduous trees.

I went for a walk today and spotted this ancient tree growing below me on a sandstone ridge. The tree looked like it had been hit by lightning at some stage and had a wierd break in its trunk and the twisted branches bore no leaves for shelter for the birds that would hide there in summer.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5635.Big-tree.jpg[/img]

I walked on some more and reached a place where I could get a better view of the ancient wonder. The massive trunk widening as it tried to clasp a desperate foothold in the unforgiving sandstone.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1884.Giant-tree.jpg[/img]

As I snapped away, I heard a strange noise above me, something I had never heard before. There was a fluttering, a deafening beating of large wings, as a huge bird landed gracefully in the tree. I had never seen a bird like this before, but grabbed myfield guideand discovered it was Fakus Wierdusbirdus. I didn't think they flew this far north.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2022.Big-tree-wierd-bird.jpg[/img]

The bird was spooked and I couldn't work out why. I edged a little closer using my stealthy skills honed from years of sneaking inside when I have been out too late. I managed to grab a close up, I wish i had brought a longer lens.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7180.Wierd-bird-2.jpg[/img]

The I heard a low growl and I retreated to the shelter of a nearby cave. There was a heavy panting, leaves rustled as the hairs on the back of my neck began to prickle. What was coming the wierd bird fluttered and jumped from twig to twig.

What was coming?

Then I saw it, normally a shy reclusive creature that hides in snowy caves, I was lucky enough to be witnessing the very rare, almost extinct.........

Very rare.

Hard to find.

Did I say almost extinct.

Sad eyed puppy stalking a wierd bird in a bonsai tree.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2450.Sad-puppy.jpg[/img]

Thanks for viewing and putting up with the tale.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

A few from our trip to Albuquerque:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5554.IMG_5F00_00059.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5756.IMG_5F00_00038.jpg[/img]

I decided not to take my equipment on the reservation[:|]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3482.IMG_5F00_00049.jpg[/img]

Mark
    Mark

Great story, Steve... I was on the edge of my seat! Goes to show, you need to be ready for anything out there.

Ps. 6 degrees is when we call it warm enough to start wearing shorts! I guess it

Thanks Jonathan, yeah we are pretty soft over here when it comes to the cold, just not used to it.
    Steve U

Steve, Great storry and illustrative photos----loved it-----Just how board do you have to be to get this creative???
    Bob

Thanks Bob, yep pretty bored, I
    Steve U

Steve You are good. I showed my 3 and 4 year old grand daughters your pixs and told them your story. The LUVED it. No more Wiggles.

Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Thanks Wally, I was hoping the youngsters would get a kick out of it.
    Steve U

Just came back from a holiday[ip] and my wife insisted[:@] that I showed off her shot of me[H] (LOL) in Kuala Lumpur.

Taken with a 400D/50mm f1/4 post with Canon DPP.

Wally

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x400/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5001.IMG_5F00_0003ev1.jpg[/img]

Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo