It's time for another trip report! This time, Point Reyes National Seashore, California. This little gem of a park is a terrific spot for wildlife photography, especially if you are looking for a bobcat. These elusive and skittish animals are fairly common in the park, but you need an eagle eye and a lot of patience to grab a photo. To improve the odds, we hired a local guide Daniel Dietrich https://www.pointreyessafaris.com/, who is absolutely excellent and also employs the finest ethics in his work which is very important to me. We spent 3 days with Daniel and then another 3 on our own. Besides the bobcats, you can find Tule Elk (a species endemic to the area), coyotes, fox, elephant seals (Jan - Mar), and a host of birds including burrowing owls and great horned owls. I had a terrific time and I will certainly be back! Here are some examples of the photos I got (all taken with my "old" 1DX Mark II, since the new camera only arrived after I got back).

Bobcat hunting

Elephant seal lounging on the beach

Burrowing Owl

Local shipwreck, with some light painting (we always go out for a night shot on our photo trips, it's tradition!)

Northern Harrier (male)

Tule Elk at dawn --- this could be my favourite photo of the trip

Not shown here are river otters. We tried 3 times to get shots of them at a favourite spot of theirs, but they did not get the memo and weren't as cooperative as we hoped. More reason to come back. There is something to see in the park year-round, so there's really no "bad" time to go. However I was quite happy with early February, because the grass is shorter, the elephant seals are on the beach, and the elk still have their antlers. If you have any questions about the area, please let me know!

Thanks for viewing -