No 1

2015_11_13_14591_LR_upd_16x9 by dthrog00, on Flickr

No 2

2015_11_13_14588_LR_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

No 3

2015_11_13_14568_LR_upd_8x10 by dthrog00, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing.
    Dave

I'm back from another cold and wild adventure to the arctic, where I spent 10 days on the icy shores of Baffin Island, Canada. The object was to photograph newborn polar bear cubs after they have emerged from their dens, and we had very good success. I now have the happy chore ahead of me of sorting through 13,000 images. I've already picked out a half-dozen, and posted them on my website. Here are a few examples. If you have any questions about the area, the gear, or the techniques involved, feel free to fire away!

Glad the trip was successful Jonathan. The images look great.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Absolutely stunning Jonathan.

As usual Jonathan fantastic shots, words always fail me when I try to talk about your work.

With a Polar Bear sniffing the wind I would be running away as fast as I could.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

I wondered how you could top some of those aurora borealis shots. Well, you DID top them!

Thanks very much! This was a rather difficult trip to do, from an effort and discomfort point of view. We spent long hours being pulled in sleds behind snowmobiles, banging across the bumpy sea ice. It was cold enough that I got frostbite on my face, in spite of all my experience and preparation. Bear sightings were of course not guaranteed, and for the first 3 days we saw nothing at all. But then the guides started having success, and it just got better from there. Being around the bears was not dangerous at all, because the mother's instinct is always to run away. So the object was to catch them near an iceberg, of which there are plenty in the area, frozen into the sea ice. As we approached, the bears would just climb up the iceberg to safety. From there we could walk around and fire at will. The Mothers would quickly realize that we weren't a threat, so she'd be quite relaxed and the cubs would also follow her lead.

As a bonus, we also had a few great nights of northern lights:

Thanks for your interest!

These are awesome pics of the polar bear family. My favorite is the middle one with the mother and cub who have apparently just ate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post

These are awesome pics of the polar bear family. My favorite is the middle one with the mother and cub who have apparently just eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Thanks very much! This was a rather difficult trip to do, from an effort and discomfort point of view. We spent long hours being pulled in sleds behind snowmobiles, banging across the bumpy sea ice. It was cold enough that I got frostbite on my face, in spite of all my experience and preparation. Bear sightings were of course not guaranteed, and for the first 3 days we saw nothing at all. But then the guides started having success, and it just got better from there. Being around the bears was not dangerous at all, because the mother's instinct is always to run away. So the object was to catch them near an iceberg, of which there are plenty in the area, frozen into the sea ice. As we approached, the bears would just climb up the iceberg to safety. From there we could walk around and fire at will. The Mothers would quickly realize that we weren't a threat, so she'd be quite relaxed and the cubs would also follow her lead.

As a bonus, we also had a few great nights of northern lights:

Thanks for your interest!
    That's one of the best of "aurora" i've ever seen.

And the reason is because, usually - aurora pictures have a really beatiful aurora but such a poor "horizon".

Not this case, congratulations!
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus