Thread: Post your best current shots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Here is a shot from yesterday. In the Rockies, the larch trees turn gold during September and eventually lose their needles (I think they are the only coniferous trees that do this). It makes for a wonderful show, and we always look for new places to see them. You generally need to hike above 2000 metres in elevation (which is about 500 metres above grade) to see them.
    I think you're right, they are the only coniferous to lose their needles, at least in Europe. We have a lot of larches in our mountains and some tourists think they are sick. Our larches are turning gold and then orange a bit later than yours though, so we still have to wait for about a month before we can see this happen. I'm already looking forward to this, as it provides some of the most spectacular views of the year.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tounis View Post
    I think you're right, they are the only coniferous to lose their needles, at least in Europe. We have a lot of larches in our mountains and some tourists think they are sick. Our larches are turning gold and then orange a bit later than yours though, so we still have to wait for about a month before we can see this happen. I'm already looking forward to this, as it provides some of the most spectacular views of the year.

Bald cypress down in the swamps in the south also loose their needles. (there are a few other conifers that also do this) I think all the conifers that do this are pretty unique and neat to see.

Great shots of the Larches though. I really love the first one.