Thread: Post your best current shots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I agree, I like the composition on the first one. There is a lot of CA... very noticeable on the tree trunk. A little too much clarity, contrast, or HDR for the clouds, which also leaves a little bit of a halo around the sides of the structure. But overall I do like the shot. It must have been a nice experience.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I like the first image .... you could sell it on post cards! Nice to see it without the crowds.

I see a rope fence around the temple...do they prohibit climbing it now? I remember my wife and I climbed to the top with our kids several years ago. Going up wasn't too bad but it was frightening coming down because it is very steep.
    Thanks Joel!

My understanding is that they stopped allowing people to climb El Castillo about 6 years ago after someone fell and, unfortunatley, died. The rope fences were around everything, so I suspect there is also an element of preservation as well. I hear that you can still climb to the top at Coba. I may try that the next time I go down.

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    I agree, I like the composition on the first one. There is a lot of CA... very noticeable on the tree trunk. A little too much clarity, contrast, or HDR for the clouds, which also leaves a little bit of a halo around the sides of the structure. But overall I do like the shot. It must have been a nice experience.
    It was a good experience. Just getting out of the cold was a good experience .

I spent so much time with the different colors, I missed the CA. Below I've decreased the clarity by 15, turned on the CA reduction in LR4 and a few other minor adjustments.

Thanks,
    Brant

Post your best current shots

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    My understanding is that they stopped allowing people to climb El Castillo about 6 years ago after someone fell and, unfortunatley, died.
    When we visited Tikal (Guatemala) several years ago, Temple II was closed because a German tourist had fallen from the top. We climbed to the top of Temple IV (aka the secret Rebel base in Star Wars ), and also Temple V (we climbed that one before dawn, to see the sunrise). The guides told us that someone fell from a temple a few times per year, and they closed whichever temple they fell from for about a month after the incident.

Later, in Belize, we were given a bicycle helmet and 1 minute of instructions before a 300-ft free rappel into a sinkhole (the Black Hole Drop).

Clearly, Central America not quite as litigious as the US...