Thread: Tamron Lens

Tamron Lens

Tamron SP AF 70-300 mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD. Has anybody had any experience with this lens. You got a pretty good to fair reviewing Shutterbug magazine. I know it

Re: Tamron Lens

George, first of all: I don't have the lens not have I used it, but I'd like to show you this: LINK

Quote Originally Posted by George Jogtich
    I know it's not I Canon and especially not a Canon L lens.

It's not priced that way either []

I only would be using this lens occasionally, and I haven't actually body (40D) as well is a 70 body.

For occasional use, the Tamron doesn't sound bad to me. If you don't really need the IS or the 300mm range, you might want to consider the Canon 70-200 F4L. It's a masterpiece and it fits the same budget. It would give you superb image quality and has a faster constant aperture, but it lacks IS and the 300mm range(which could be obtained by using an extender at some point).

Good luck deciding [] Oh and by the way, I'm not sure if you have a 40D or a 7D or both. I assume you have the 40D. I must say that I'd rather have a 40D with a good lens(or 2) than a 7D with a kit-lens[]

Jan

George,

Here is a good review http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/583-tamron70300f456eosffwith example images. I've had experience with the older Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 Di lens. For the price, it's hard to beat.

I whole heartedly agree with Jan's response, glass before body is my mantra!

[]
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

I just purchased this lens. So far I am very impressed with it. Here is an example at 100% crop.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/5383.100.jpg[/img]

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
    Lens: 70.0-300.0 mm
    Image Date: 2011-05-06 12:06:44 +0000
    Focal Length: 300mm
    Aperture: f/8.0
    Exposure Time: 0.013 s (1/80) <span style="font-size: small;"]hand held
    ISO equiv: 100
    Exposure Bias: none
    Metering Mode: Partial
    Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
    White Balance: Auto
    Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)
    Mark

It's a great lens. I had it for about two months before moving to 70-200mm f/4L IS USM. The Tamron is very sharp, focuses fast and the VC works well. Build quality is also decent, no L standards of course but by no means bad. Overall an excellent lens for the price.

The only real downside and the biggest reason for me to upgrade to the 70-200L (besides getting a good deal and a bad case of the L disease [:P]) is the fact that it doesn't have a zoom-lock so with my BlackRapid strap it would always extend outwards when walking. If that doesn't bother you then it's an excellent lens and I can recommend it wholeheartedly.

You can see some examples with my 7D + the Tamron 70-300 USD here in my blog: http://qwrad.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/big-cats/ All of the images in this post are shot with the Tamron handheld through the cages at the zoo.

Tamron SP AF 70-300 mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD. Has anybody had any experience with this lens. You got a pretty good to fair reviewing Shutterbug magazine. I know it's not I Canon and especially not a Canon L lens. I only would be using this lens occasionally, and I haven't actually body (40D) as well is a 70 body. I would like to read your opinion and/or experience with this lens.

Thank you in advance for all the help.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I also have this lens. I have experienced the same creep when my camera is mounted to my BR strap as well. I LOVE this lens. The image quality is great.. as is the VC stabalization. I haven't been disappointed. As brian stated in his brief review, at the 300 end I experienced some auto focusing issues when shooting the bald eagles earlier this year. All in all, totally worth the price tag, especially in comparison to other options in that range.

Here's a landscape I took with it in Feb of this year:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/2000x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/2766.IMG_5F00_5100.jpg[/img]
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers