Thread: If there's no other option but direect flash... whats the best setting???

If there's no other option but direect flash... whats the best setting???

hi guys,

i usually shoot using bounce flash or diffused... but there are time that these just wouldn

Re: If there's no other option but direect flash... whats the best setting???

It is going to be difficultto give you the exact settings for your shoot. I would take a few test shots ahead of time for sure. If you cannot dothattry to simulate the conditions at home and practice. Remember how exposure parameters (time, aperture and ISO) affect flash light so you can modify as you test/practice. During the shoot check often the results on the LCD in the back of the camera. I would stillrecommend to diffuse any direct harsh light.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: If nothing works and you have to act fast don't be afraid of TTL. It saved my butt more than once![:P]

If you want ambient light to contribute to the background, aperture priority with an aperture/ISO combination that leads to a hand-holdable shutter speed. Drop the EC a bit if you want the subject to stand out (and this also helps your shutter speed). Otherwise, drop the FEC maybe a stop so the flash isn
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

thnx for the input guys

You can use something like the Gary Fong Lightsphere. You can also google on how to make your own. I've used the upright diffusers during many hours of shooting where there is nothing to bounce off of, with great results. It even works well with ettl.