Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I forgetting anything?

Re: Am I forgetting anything?

John

What a great reason to go. Congratz and I hope it all goes well

Just one thing. Back up body, things happen.

Congratulations, John! Have a safe trip.

John,

Congratulations on the new daughter.

I agree with Rick on taking a second body. It would really stink to get all the way over there and have a problem with your 5D II. I realize you are also taking your S95, but none of your glass will fit it.[]

If space is a concern, how about removing the grip from the 7D?

Like Pete, I have issues using the touch pad verses a mouse. If that is not true of you, you are good.

I will pray for a safe and successful trip for you and your family. I look forward to seeing your China and new family photos.

Chris

John,

Nothing technical to add to the above comments, but wanted to congratulate you on the addition to your family. I work with someone who has adopted a boy and a girl from China and it seems to have been a great experience.

A quick guess, but Jie Chun's first english word will be "CAM-ER-A" []

Have a great and safe trip. I look forward to the photos when you get back.

Brant

Fantastic news, John!! Congratulations on the new addition to your family ...she is beautiful!!!

Have a safe trip ...looking forward to many photos upon your return!!

God bless!

Denise

This is fantastic --- congratulations! She is absolutely adorable & precious.

Your kit looks incredibly well thought out. I

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words and support!!

Pete, I do have a travel mouse I'm taking. Actually, I'm pretty comfortable editing with just the trackpad (the MBP's is big) - the mouse is mostly for my toddler to play computer games.

Pete and Mark, I've got a couple of plug adapters. Looking at the plugs in China, it looks like they take the 2-prong North American plugs as long as they aren't polarized (AC/DC power adapters aren't). But I'm bringing some just in case.

Colin, I've got two sets of 4 eneloops for the 430EX II (I left the spares off the list somehow, even though they're in the picture). I'm not too big on flash use - I think I've recharged my eneloops 2-3 times over the year that I've had them, and never because they were running out of juice. I'm going to save a little space by skipping the charger for those. I will add an LED penlight - great idea!

Rich, great suggestions! I have a small power strip that also has a couple of USB ports for charging. The power adapter for the Mac is in the bag, as is my airline power adapter. The built-in MBP battery is good for 8-9 hours. I actually thought about a headphone Y-adapter a week ago or so, then I completely forgot about it...a timely reminder, I'll pick one up on my way home to pack. I like your father's advice - after a couple of backpack-only trips to other continents, we've at least got the easy-pack-easy-care travel attire (the REI membership has come in handy over the years). But traveling with a toddler is a different story - toys, games, etc. We have her baggage allowance added to ours, but then the issue becomes how to schlep all that stuff through a succession of airports. As for doubling the amount of money, ouch - we're already have to carry cash to cover the 'mandatory donation' and other adoption fees (our bank had to place an order for new hundreds for that, and the stack is way too thick for my wallet...). But I know from past travels that you always spend more than you plan. Good tip on the backups - the thumb drives (I can't believe there are 64GB versions now!) will be in my pocket for the return trip, and during the trip I'll make backups nightly from the CF cards, and the backups will be stored separately from my camera and my computer, just in case. Insurance can replace the hardware, not the images.

Rick, I did agonize over bringing the 7D. I just don't think I'll have room, unfortunately. My camera gear is already spilling over into the regular luggage. I've got the S95, and should it come to that, I'd be willing to just buy an xxxD body over there (but probably not the Jackie Chan 550D.

Chris, good point about removing the grip. I'm going to wait until everything is packed (which we haven't even started yet - I'm heading home soon to get going on that!), and see how much space is available. I may just end up bringing it after all.

Denise, thanks!

Jonathan, also not listed, but I've got a hotshoe bubble level in the pocket of the tripod bag - I just need to remember to pull it out and use it!

All the best everyone, and thanks again!

--John

Hi John,

One more suggestion if you're interested. I have heard that some photographers put their hard (yellow) case in a separate, cheap looking duffle bag to hide the fact that there may be expensive electronic or camera equipment in there. You may even be able to cut a hole in the bottom of the bag for the wheels or put the hard case in the duffle bag when you arrive at the baggage check-in window. Just a thought!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Pete and Mark, I've got a couple of plug adapters. Looking at the plugs in China, it looks like they take the 2-prong North American plugs as long as they aren't polarized (AC/DC power adapters aren't). But I'm bringing some just in case.

John,

You are right: the two prong North American is pretty much standard in China. You may come across with two other types but those are older and not ascommon any more. As far as the current goes, they have typical 220V 50Hz AC (non polarized) current, which is also standard in entire Europe, so as long as yourchargers and power suppliestake 220V (Canon and Mac do)there should not be any problems.

For the most part, you should be able to use electricity over there by just plugging in. If you are less lucky and come across the mentioned older plug, you will need an adapter.

Pete

Congrats John, What a doll you have there. I didn
    Bob