Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I forgetting anything?

Am I forgetting anything?

I'm headed off to China on Thursday. My camera-related gear is as follows:
    • 5DII, 16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 1.4x II Extender, and Speedlite 430EX II w/ Omnibounce
    • B+W 77mm 10-stop ND filter, B+W 77mm and 82mm SlimKäsemannCPLs, 77mm 500D Close-Up Lens
    • Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 CF tripod, 488RC2 ballhead, BlackRapid RS-4 strap, RC-1 remote
    • PowerShot S95
    • Giottos rocket blower, LensPen,Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly 724 Super Bright
    • Charger and 2 spare LP-E6 batteries (also 2 in the grip), charger and spare battery for S95
    • 56 GB CF cards (2 x 16GB, 3 x 8GB), 28 GB SDHC cards (3 x 8GB, 4 GB)
    • Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Lowepro Toploader Pro 65AW, Storm im2500 hard case and SearchAlert locks
    • 17" Macbook Pro, ExpressCard CD and SD card readers, 192 GB of thumb drives for backup (3 x 64GB), 128 GB of ExpressCard SSDs for more backup

Here's what it looks like:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-35-15/ChinaPacking.jpg[/img]

Notwithstanding the kitchen sink, am I forgetting anything?

After tomorrow, I'll be incommunicado for 3-4 weeks. Happy shooting, everyone!

Oh...I know that I mentioned my desire to make a meaningful photographic record of our trip, although photography isn't the main purpose for our travel. But, I omitted what that main purpose is:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-35-15/Jie-Chun.jpg[/img]

Meet Jie Chun, our daughter who we are traveling to China to adopt. []

--John

Re: Am I forgetting anything?

Oh wow congrats mate, that
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

John,

Do you use a mouse with your laptop? I personallyfind postprocessing with just integrated pointing device unnecessarily difficult. I always take a smallnotebook mouse on my trips.

Other than that, after researching types of electrical plugs in China and comparing essential components of your kit with mine (I am on vacation in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico now []) I am going to say thay you got it covered.

And last, but certainly not the least, congratulations on the latest addition to your family[]. I consider adoption a very noble gesture.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-35-15/Jie-Chun.jpg[/img]

Meet Jie Chun, our daughter who we are traveling to China to adopt. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

--John
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

She is a doll, Look forward to many, many more photos of her.

Make sure you have an international plug adapter.

Mark

Mark

Great pix of your new one and your gear. A big congrats is in order. You might want to take some Flexeril, Ibuprofen, and Tiger Balm from hauling all of that stuff around to help with the aches at the end of the day. Just kidding of course...it looks like you

Wow, what a life-changing trip! Wish you all the best!

Colin

PS: You don

Wow, looks like you have everything covered John. Congratulations on your imminent addition, this is the trip of a life time for all involved.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Hi John,

That's wonderful news, Congrats on the new addition to your family, she looks beautiful.

It looks like you've got everything covered.

Don't forget the charger for the laptop and perhaps an airplane adapter or external juice pack for the laptop if you would like to watch more than 1 movie on the flight. Two pairs of Headphones with y-adapter if you and your wife would like to watch a movie together on the plane.

Besides an international power adapter, I would also bring a small power strip that can plug into the power adapter, that can support about 5 outlets and make sure that there is space for your power adapters and chargers without blocking the other outlets on the strip. A short extension cord may also be convenient.

A toy for your new daughter Jie Chun!

John, on the way back from your trip, make sure that you have your backups on your person, or in a different bag then the original files. Also, a quick upload of your images to flikr might be useful if you have a good internet connection.

Have a wonderful trip and congratulations on your new addition!

Rich

Here

Congratulations on your soon-to-be addition to your family! Hope you have a great trip to China!

Stephen