Thread: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM, opinions? General impresions?

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM, opinions? General impresions?

I
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Re: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM, opinions? General impresions?

My only worry is the lack of microfocus adjustment on your XSi. Sometimes those Sigmas (from what I've read) need a bit of tuning. However, if you're unsatisfied with it, you can always exchange in the hopes that you receive one that's tolerences are more in line with your camera.

If you already owned the 7D, I'd say go for it all the way. Honestly, that's a lens I've considered many times. I own 3 prime lenses (Canon 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, and 85mm f/1.8). Even though the 35mm f/2 is the worst lens of the bunch (in terms of image and build quality), I often use it over the other two because it has a more manageable focal length for most of the situationsin which I require a prime.

Lack of microfocus adjustment is what is pushing me to hold out for the 7D. If back/front focus were a problem I
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I have the Sigma 30mm F/1.4 and use it regularly with my 7D. It

Quote Originally Posted by deuce2367
    Weaknesses?? Not many. I wish it had a lower minimum-focusing distance. That's about it. IS would be nice but on a prime like this that's pretty much unheard of and obviously would increase the cost.

Are you 100% sure that your lens doesn't have front- or backfocus-issues? You haven't micro-adjusted it?

I'm asking this because a friend of mine has the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and it has front- and back-focus issues. He first thought he corrected the lens properly, but the next day it was going the other way around. I have the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and I have front-focussing. Which is not an issue, since I have micro-adjustment. And in the end it's a lot better in my opinion than the Canon counterpart.

I'm just saying: 2 people, 2 lenses, both "issues".

Anyway, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is a nice lens, IF it functions properly [] If you buy it at a store or place where you can easily return it(good customerservice), you should go for it. If not... it's a chance you may or may not take.

Here's a review on the Sigma 30mm if you're interested.

Jan

I was actually referring specifically to the minimum focus distance which is 15.7 inches. This is significantly more than the Canon 35mm F/2 and Canon 35mm F/1.4 lenses. It