Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: usa rebates?

Re: usa rebates?

[quote user="JJphoto"]Adorama should match the lowest price, just ask![/quote]

ask? hmm.. how do i do that? just call them up and ask for a lower price?

[quote user="Chris White"]In addition, the main place I purchase my Canon gear from is PCNation through a salesman named Steve Cromar. He will usually meet and generally beat, by a little, legitamate dealers. He also gets me my items in two days with free FedEx shipping. If anyone is interested, I will forward his contact information. I do not get anything, I just can attest to his honesty. You get what you order quickly with no pressure to make additional purchases.

[/quote]

hi chris, send me steve

Quote Originally Posted by digitizedchaos

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    Adorama should match the lowest price, just ask!

ask? hmm.. how do i do that? just call them up and ask for a lower price?

well, we have Helen who is from Adorama in this forum can answer your question, you can also contact her by email, her email address is helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

On canonpricewatch.com, they have a note about how dealers must have the prices shown on the flyer. I guess it's one of those fair-trade sort of things where the manufacturer sets the price so the distributers don't get into a price war. IMO, this is a common practice, but looks like price gouging since dealers where already giving us a very good price. Stinks for us since everything now is the same price or even more than before the rebate. Looks like the only item that actually significantly went down in price is the 70-300mm f//4-5.6L.

I felt like I was spending a lot on lenses at the end of last year when the holiday rebates were active, buying way more than what I really needed at the time. Now I'm glad I did since they all went up in price significantly.
    - Trowski

When Canon raises the prices to retailers, rebates are generally offered for the first few months to delay the price-change for customers. We don
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com

Helen, thanks for the explanation.

I would believe you if you will sell the 7D for $1699 after the rebate ends[]

raising the price on one hand while offering rebates on the other hand just looks too ugly no matter what, and I want to say it again, rebates should go to customer not the store.

PS. one more thing Helen, maybe you want to talk about the price matching policy again since we have some new members they don't know about it.

The rebates DO go to the customer. The problem is that we have to raise our prices to the MSRP. Then our customers get the relevant rebate off that price.
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com

PS we always do our best to price match to any other reputable retailer; email me for details: HelenO@adorama.com
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com

It boils down to this--Canon has risen the MSRP (with a corresponding raise in cost to retailers) on many products. In order to smooth the transition to customers, it has offered rebates that basically bring prices in line with the previous pricing for a short amount of time. After that, I believe you will see prices remain at the raised MSRP levels once the rebates are finished.

Helen

True we get the rebate off the raised price. But this is not a one time occurance nor the first time I have seen it happen.

I have been watching the price of the 500mm F4L for a long time, both before and after I bought one.

When a rebate some time back (I believe last summer) was offered on it, the price was raised by the online stores, and the cost savings was very little. Once the rebate ended the price of the lens once again returned to what it was before the rebate.

That instance was not during a price increase.

I have seen this same seanrio play with other lenses. The only thing that seems to happen is that the mom and pop stores for a short time end up being on the same footing with the discount houses for a time.

I would doubt that it is some type of conspiracy amoung the discounters to try and take advantage of a rebate. To the contrary the discount stores are somewhat cut throat and would take every advantage they could. But it is disapointing to those on a tight budget saving and waiting to buy one of canon

I