Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 135L vs 100 f2 Which do you prefer?

135L vs 100 f2 Which do you prefer?

I am looking for a prime to be used on a 40D. I will use it for low light portraits around the house, andfor school plays. I have rented the 135L once, and fell in love with it. It is expensive however compared to the 100f2, and if I went with the 100f2, I could also get a 580EXII which I could really use. Obviously the reach of the 135L will help at school but it will hurt in closer quarters. Anyone have experience with these two lenses? Will I be disappointed with the 100 after using the 135L? I would love to see some comparison photos of real subjects.

Re: 135L vs 100 f2 Which do you prefer?

135. Just position yourself accordingly when possible.

Why? The image quality is stellar ad it is one of the (if not the) sharpest lens Canon makes. The sharpness is ridiculously good. It makes any other lens look faulty at times.

I think the 135L has an edge even with price factor considered. I have a 85/1.8 and I think the lens will not keep up with the 135L wide open. The 100/2 is pretty much the same thing. Also, I would like to work with conventional focal lengths and the 135L is indeed very renown for its performance. So do get the 135L if you can.

I have both that I use for portraits. Depending on the situation, they both perform very well. Did a shoot this morning of some little boys(toddler and 2 1/2 yr old), and inside because of the weather. The 135L is almost too long(even on my 5Dll), and gets a little tight trying to frame....the 100f2 worked out perfect, and still has the bokeh to make it very effective. The colors might be just a touch better with the 135, but can't fault the 100. Plus, the 100 handles very well(small, light, fast focusing). Both are sharp as nails(I have good copies), and both do the same thing very effectively, with just different lengths. On crop camera's, I think you have to be a little more selective, but either are great. Here is a small example with the 100. ISO 400 f2.5@1/320[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/..._5F00_1465.jpg[/img]

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Greg,
    Thanks for the photo, Do you see any noticeable difference in contrast. I agree, the bokeh looks great.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Alicoate
    if I went with the 100f2, I could also get a 580EXII which I could really use.

If you're just adding a fourth or fifth 580 EX II flash unit to your collection in order to increase the flexibility of your mobile studio lighting system, I'd recommend that you make do with the flashes you have and go with the awesome 135mm f/2.

But if this will be your first Canon flash, then you should definitely wait on the 135mm f/2 and get the flash immediately. The range of photographic opportunities made possible by a flash are many times greater than any one lens.

What can the 135mm do for you? Same light, but better contrast, sharpness, bokeh, etc.

What can a flash do for you? Change light itself. Totally different photo.

If the light itself stinks (harshed, mixed color temperature, bad direction, etc.), then there's nothing the 135mm can do to help you. A flash is far more powerful for that reason.

Got harsh indoor lights? Bounce flash from 45 degrees and get soft, caressing light. Mixed daylight and flourescent? Overpower the flourescents with your own light and get a much better photo. Overpower sunlight itself. The possibilities are endless.

Daniel,
    It would be my first flash, and I agree it is a whole new range of possibilities.Generally the look of flash photos do not seem as apealing to me as natural light. There is definitely some work required to get good photos with a flash, and not make them look like a flash was involved. I struggled with the different color of the light. Incandescents in the background and the whiter flash makes for photos that while exposed properly feel likea flash was used. Still it is a learning curve that I wouldn't mind climbing. Thanks for the advice.

Tom

Hey Tom...there might be just little difference in the contrast, with the 135 better. But, that is still something you can do in PP. I think that getting the 100 f2 and the 580 EXll( also used in the above photo as bounce), can still produce excellent results, and still save yourself some money, if you're on a budget. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 135L, and use it as often as I can. But sometimes, as in the situation above, I was limited indoors as far as distance was concerned, so the 100f2 worked out. Your decision, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. Just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Alicoate

There is definitely some work required to get good photos with a flash, and not make them look like a flash was involved.

Yes. For some uses, you'll find it very easy to learn. For example, find a white wall and white cieling, point your flash at where they meet, put it on Manual, 1/250, f/5.6, and shoot. It's like having a twenty foot soft box you can fit in your pocket and setup in seconds.

"L" means luxury....there is alot of difference interms of performance and image quality.