Thread: Questions regarding new gear ...

Questions regarding new gear ...

Ok, what else is there to do when your home from work sick other than spend money on the internet!? []

I have been searching every day for about a month now for a used TS-E 90mm and today I finally found one! I know I am setting myself up for quite the learning curve but if all else fails it still makes for a good normal manual focusinglens! I know it's not the best for a 7d but from what I've read it's pretty darn sharp for the price compared to the others that cost alot moreand all in due time, hopefully the 7d won't be my only camera!

Now for my questions ...
    "The front element of the lens is very close to the front of the filter threads. Some filters may contact these front elements, damaging the lens, the filter, or both. Be especially careful when mounting non-Canon filters."<span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]<span style="color: #ff0000;"] <span style="color: #000000;"]Will my B+W filters work?

<span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]<span style="color: #ff0000;"]<span style="color: #000000;"]I am thinking about getting either the 250D or 500D close-up lens for this lens and a 77mm (and 67mm adapter) for my other lenses. Has anyone used these? Which one would be better?

<span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]<span style="color: #ff0000;"]<span style="color: #000000;"]Last question ...

<span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]<span style="color: #ff0000;"]<span style="color: #000000;"]I want to buy a focusing rail but don't want to spend a great deal of $ since I won't be using it all that often. Has anyone used the Cowboystudio focusing rail? I know for $55.00 it's not the greatest but wondering if it is "useable" with decent results.

<span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]<span style="color: #ff0000;"]<span style="color: #000000;"]Thanks much!

Denise

Re: Questions regarding new gear ...

Denise,....

IMHO,..I wouldn

Hi Todd -

I have a macro lens and extension tubes but sometimes I don

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I know I might be making a huge mistake with the TS-E 90 and that's why I'm buying it used

If you have never owned a TSE,... I Would NOT consider it a mistake....lotsa of learning involved and that is FUN!

I have a macro lens and extension tubes but sometimes I don't have my lens with me

If ya got Money to burn?,...hopefully someone else can chime in on the close up filters....

I sold my 17-55mm to fund it and now I miss my 17-55mm big time!

Yes! I had noticed that,...well,... some great new learning for you if you decide to buy the TSE....that is always fun....

I bought a TS-E 90 for use with my 5D MK II for product photography, its a very nice lens, and does close focusing as well as accepting a TC. If you need a little more magnification, use a TC. Otherwise, consider a 100mm L at a slightly lower price. I sold mine and bought a 100mmL, since I seldom used the tilt or shift.

I am thinking about getting either the 250D or 500D close-up lens for this lens and a 77mm (and 67mm adapter) for my other lenses. Has anyone used these? Which one would be better?

I haven't used the 250D or 500D. I have used a Sony M3358. As far as I know those are the only high quality achromatic close-up filters, and they each produce a different level of magnification. The 500D is 2 diopters, the Sony M3358 is 3 diopters, but only 58mm, and the 250D is 4 diopters. Like extension tubes, they can be stacked to increase magnification. ie: If you had both, you could get 2, 4, or 6 diopters (the more the higher the magnification). Unlike extension tubes, closeup filters increase magnification more the longer the focal length, so you'd want to use these on longer lenses.

Currently the only long lens I have is mediocre quality, so I can't tell what sort of image quality degredation the M3358 gives me.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa

I bought a TS-E 90 for use with my 5D MK II for product photography, its a very nice lens, and does close focusing as well as accepting a TC. If you need a little more magnification, use a TC. Otherwise, consider a 100mm L at a slightly lower price. I sold mine and bought a 100mmL, since I seldom used the tilt or shift.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I have many flower gardens that I am hoping to use this on mostly. With all the flowers, bees, butterflies and infamous Japanese beetle, I should be able to get some use out of the lens. Since I'm going to be buying it used for $825 w/ it only currently being a year old, I should be able to sell it for at least the same if it doesn't work out for me. I do have the Canon 100mmL IS but don't always have it on w/ my ring lite since I am always taking pics of the birds and my dogs at the same time. So, I thought maybe the 250d or 500d would be a quick fix if the need arises when using either my 70-200 or 100-400 mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston

I am thinking about getting either the 250D or 500D close-up lens for this lens and a 77mm (and 67mm adapter) for my other lenses. Has anyone used these? Which one would be better?

I haven't used the 250D or 500D. I have used a Sony M3358. As far as I know those are the only high quality achromatic close-up filters, and they each produce a different level of magnification. The 500D is 2 diopters, the Sony M3358 is 3 diopters, but only 58mm, and the 250D is 4 diopters. Like extension tubes, they can be stacked to increase magnification. ie: If you had both, you could get 2, 4, or 6 diopters (the more the higher the magnification). Unlike extension tubes, closeup filters increase magnification more the longer the focal length, so you'd want to use these on longer lenses.

Currently the only long lens I have is mediocre quality, so I can't tell what sort of image quality degredation the M3358 gives me.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks, David! Your info has been very helpful! I think I might try a 77mm 500d and see what I think of it. Plus I'm going to take a quick search to look at the M3358.

Thanks again!
    Denise

Overhereis a nice picture of a rusty screw made with a 500D and a 70-200mm IS f/2.8 II

Andhereis a nice flickr set of 500D images, including flowers, at FULL RES.

These first links show that you CAN get good results with good lenses. I included the link below for different reasons.

Atthis link, they test an 18-55mm lens bare, with +2 filter, +3 filter, and with both filters. They then test a 55-200mm bare, +2, +3, +both. They then test a 60mm macro, which looks MUCH nicer. Finally they test a 60mm macro w/ +3 which is impressive... I wonder what the 180mm w/ a close-up would let you see!

They are using low quality kit zoom lenses (the old 18-55 non-IS, and the old 55-200), and low quality close-up filters (most closeups have 1 lens element, and achromats have 2), and comparing it to a lens that by design has to pretty darn good, as it's a prime macro lens. It's not a fair fight. I included it to give you an idea of what sort of close-up-ness you can expect with different filters, and because your wallet is too heavy... you could benefit from a macro lens AND a close-up filter together. I also wanted to warn you away from cheap closeup filters.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thanks David! Those links you provided sold me! I am looking at the Canon 250d and/or 500d. I just haven