Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe what I saw today!

I can't believe what I saw today!

I think this little story could start a new thread called "What's the stupidest thing you've ever done to feed your photography addiction?!"

As I was drinking mymorning coffee & reading the paper this morning, I was trying to decide if I was going to go to the emergency clinic. I've had pneumonia a few times and sort of knew where this was heading. With my last bout of it, the dr. told me if I would have waited one more hour before going to the ER, well lets just say I wouldn't be taking photos today! He also warned me the next time I get it, he may not be able to perform magic! [:|]

Anyway, I then came across an article about dozensofbald eagles being seen soaring all over this area about an hour and a half from my house!! Ok, its about 15 degrees outside and very gloomy and windy but hey, I have never seen a bald eagle before!! Anyone want to take a guess what I did next?! Yep, packed my camerabag and off I went to see the eagles soar! [:O]

Even though I had my tripod, the photos turned out horrible because I was just shaking uncontrollably from freezing so bad ...I should have brought my shutter release cable!But hey ...I saw a bald eagle today! In fact, I saw many!!!!

I plan on going back soon, hopefully on a nicer day! In the meantime, any suggestions on what I can possibly do to these in pp to make any of them keepers? Any suggestions for if I am faced with another gloomy day next time?

Thank you for any suggestions you may have for me!

Denise

Re: I can't believe what I saw today!

Only one suggestion, look after your health first you big goose.[]

But I'm jealous of those photos, love how the bird is separated from the trees in the second one.

Take care.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Ok Denise, where should I start? The butt chewing for ignoring your health, or the suggestions you ask for.------Well, I'll start with ----Consider your butt chewed [:'(] ----Now with the really important stuff, the photos [] 1. Work on the second shot---its really cool. I don't remember if you have photoshop or not but.... Joel's PS recipe for isolating the subject from the background maybe very effective here along with some fill light and adjust curves and contrast a little. If you don't have the software, maybe Joel would give it a try. Worth asking, this is a really nice shot considering the circumstances.

Bob

P.S. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
    Bob

I might do the same thing Denise, since I have never seen a wild bold eagle[]

but, it's just a bird isn't it?

hope you are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

As I was drinking mymorning coffee & reading the paper this morning, I was trying to decide if I was going to go to the emergency clinic. I've had pneumonia a few times and sort of knew where this was heading.

Any suggestions

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Make sure your boss does not read this forum[]

Great shots considering the conditions.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    you big goose.[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Goose!? Yep, I saw them today too but heck if you've seen one goose ...you've seen them all! [:P]

Thank you for your compliment on the second one! I took over 100 shots &amp; I think I have a few like that ...still sorting thru them! If nothing else comes out of today, at least I was able to scope out the place and see where they hang out so next time I know where to goalong the river and bridge to get closer.

Thanks, Bob! No matter what, I have to go to work tomorrow so at least this helped me work up to an 8 hr. work day! And your butt chewing was alot more mild than what my Dr. would say!

Thanks for your comments on the second shot. I have Photoshop Elements and DxO and I've been trying to work on these with those two programs but it's not going so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    Joel's PS recipe for isolating the subject from the background maybe very effective here along with some fill light and adjust curves and contrast a little.
    I lost the secret recipe! [:'(]

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

I might do the same thing Denise, since I have never seen a wild bold eagle[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

but, it's just a bird isn't it?

hope you are ok.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks, JJ! I'm hanging in there and I'm a tough cookie so we'll see! At least someone can relate as to how I felt seeing these flying all over! We don't have to large a variety of birds around here so this was AWESOME! I never wanted a 600mm lens so much as I did today!

Denise

Thanks, Mark! 15 degress never felt so cold!

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Make sure your boss does not read this forum[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Yeah, that would not be a good thing! But as long as I'm not in the office spreading my germs, he may not mind! [^o)]

It is sad that I can't go to work and say, HEY, GUESS WHAT I SAW YESTERDAY!

Denise

Denise, nice Eagle photos .... here is a quick repost for you ....

1. Adjust shadows/highlights

2. Adjust levels

3. Unsharp mask 115 0.2 5

4. Create duplicate layer and run Gaussian blur 1.6 pixels

5. Create Reveal all layer mask and then paint the eagle back in

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7380.Untitled_2D00_1.jpg[/img]