Thread: canon 5D mk II water(weather) sealing

canon 5D mk II water(weather) sealing

this post is only for the peace of mind of the 5d mkII owners - your camera is WATER Sealed !!!

when I was in New Zealand I managed to slip from some rocks into the sea while holding my camera trying to photograph some fishermen.the camera and lens (canon 16-35mm mk I) went in the water for about 5 seconds at a 20cm depth before I could climb out.I thought that was it for both of them but....the only bad thing that happened was that 2 drops of sea water entered the lens somehow right under the front element (It had no filter attached) but the body was ok.so ok that I gave the camera to one of the fishermen while being in the water and he took two pictures of me getting out.I removed the battery after that and with water pouring from the camera I went home.I rinsed it with fresh water in the sink,I left it for the night to dry and it works fine since then.the only problem I had was with the lens,after it dried out two spots made of salt remained on the glass under the front element,but I am sure that if I had an UV filter i wouldn

Re: canon 5D mk II water(weather) sealing

Sounds like you got lucky. If I had droped mine it would have immediatly shorted everything insde and the lens would have cracked open.

I am thinking salt water, if it got inside the camera, the corrosion later on would be my worry now.

The 1D series is sealed but not water tight. Not false advertising, just well worded advertising on Canon

You said there was actually "water pouring from the camera." So water did in fact get inside the camera? This sounds far from what I would call "water sealed." The 5DII is "weather-resistent," meaning you can use it in a bit of rain and not worry too much, but actual immersion into water is very bad. I usually try not to get my 5DII wet at all, but at least I don
    - Trowski

thank you for the advice but it;s been several months since then and nothing happened,there was water pouring from the outside of the camera (I apologize for my English )there are no signs of dried salt anywhere inside (battery or Cf compartment ) nor on the body or buttons.

I am thinking of washing my camera with soap and dry it in the microwave

<span class="HW"]You are humorist [] Nice joke. It is something like to dry cat or dog in the microwave [:S]

that's a great idea,for now I'm washing my cats and dogs down by the river and spin them by the tails till they dry.

How do you make a cat bark, you pour gasoline all over it and light a match. WOOF!

How do you make a dog meow, you put him in the freezer and when he is all nice and stiff take him to a bandsaw. MEEOOW!

John.[]

hahahaha,good ones.I guess you work for PETA ,right?

If I did I'd be fired in a hurry![]

Don't get me wrong, all my pets are veryspoiled and well taken cared for.

John.